Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ok, WTF?  (Read 1510 times)

greatorder

ok, WTF?
« on: July 04, 2011, 04:49:35 pm »

I finally breached the circus. I expected masses of Fun, including merry hell being played with my FPS. a lot of clowns spawn, but rather than beelind for the fort, they all decide to piss off the edge of the screen. I'm not complaining, as it means I can occupy the circus with only the occasional clown coming along, but I've never heard of the clowns deciding to just leave.

the bluemetal tube is connected to my fort, but they aren't beelining for it.
anyone else had this happen to them?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ok, WTF?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

I've done that, or something similar.

I followed the blue candy road directly to the circus, arrival my intent. I opened it, got all the messages, saw all the clowns, and... nothing. They just cruised around. After a while they left. I saw another tube down to the south, 4x4 with a 2x2 hollow. I think I was supposed to breach that tube. I did, and everything worked.

Look around for another tube. And consider yourself lucky. But keep in mind they may come back and attack if you go down there.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »

This is a glitch with the HFS that is easily remedied. Clowns will spawn the moment you breach the HFS, but unless you mine the right tube they will wait. Rejoice, mine that stuff down to every last flake, then go to the next tube and punch through that.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

In case they do return, just remember Craze Cow's sig.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »

They will, however, seek out your dwarves if the two tubes are close together and your dwarves enter their field of perception while mining out the inactive tube. I've lost more than one fort that way. Make sure the demons don't wander too close to the tube you're mining, and you should be fine.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

GryMor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »

hmm... I'll try the other tube then.

wait a minute, it starts in the midle of the magma sea. no way to get down it :(

That isn't an insurmountable obstacle, you can turn the magma over the candy into obsidian and then dig down into it. In fact, you probably want to encase the candy spike in obsidian so you can mine it all out.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »

hmm... I'll try the other tube then.

wait a minute, it starts in the midle of the magma sea. no way to get down it :(

That isn't an insurmountable obstacle, you can turn the magma over the candy into obsidian and then dig down into it. In fact, you probably want to encase the candy spike in obsidian so you can mine it all out.
Wouldnt it be better to fill the inside of the spike with magma and slowly turn it into obsidian level by level via channeling? That way if a cave-in occurs your dwarves will bounce against soft adamantine instead of an obsidian wall.
And theres the bonus that you have a fool-proof way of mining all of the adamantine out, provided you have a constant water covering to turn whatever you channel out into obsidian.