Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dinner and a !!Show!!  (Read 1128 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Dinner and a !!Show!!
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:34:16 am »

I'm considering installing a dodge-'em/falling trap in my entrance and, due to my fort's layout, the dining room is about the same number of z levels down as it takes to kill/explode a gob. So, in true DF style, what are the merits of installing grates at the bottom of my pit-o-doom(TM)? Will blood drip down into their tankards of plumphelm wine? If a building destroyer survives can it destroy floor grates or spook my dwarves? If this interfers with normal day-to-day running of the fort I might reconsider digging it somewhere else.
Thanks
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

The1stlogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner and a !!Show!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:43:52 am »

Dwarves that witness the carnage of a creature exploding can actually get desensitized to it all in a way that makes them much more psychologically sturdy and much less likely to tantrum (or EVER tantrum).

So it's actually a really good idea. Tons of people do it. But I think the explosion has to happen on the same level.

Maybe have them fall onto grates IN the dining room, and then pull a lever to drop the bodies into magma after that?

That way, if they do survive, they still go into the magma!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:45:43 am »

If one survives the fall, and the dwarves look up (they always do) they get spooked through the grate.  However, you'll have much more luck with an upright spear trap on the dining room floor, and some restrictions to prevent dwarves from walking over it.  That way, death is almost assured, and the death witnessing will harden your dwarves.  Tantrums will become rare.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:47:17 am »

Dwarves that witness the carnage of a creature exploding can actually get desensitized to it all in a way that makes them much more psychologically sturdy and much less likely to tantrum (or EVER tantrum).

So it's actually a really good idea. Tons of people do it. But I think the explosion has to happen on the same level.

Maybe have them fall onto grates IN the dining room, and then pull a lever to drop the bodies into magma after that?

That way, if they do survive, they still go into the magma!

I was going to leave magma out of it as the grates above the dining room would, while magma safe, allow all my little dorfs to burn but using it as a waste disposal is a great idea. I'll try something like this out

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:27 am »

Dwarves only burn if they fall in it.  Being near magma has no adverse affects - anymore.  In previous version, metalsmiths were known for suffering intense burns over months.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:02:08 am »

What previous versions? Back in the 2d days lava floods would kill them all, sure, but in between 2d and 40d the only danger magma posed was fire imps and grass fires.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:02 am »

Apparently dwarves who spent a lot of time in the magma forges would suffer for it, similar to the issue with steam being lethal and rain turning dwarves into puddles in hot biomes.  The history of temperature is written in blood.

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:01 am »

If I recall right, the fun "bug" was that wet dwarfs on a "warm <whatever>" tile would suffer from the burning temperature of the magma.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 01:13:18 pm »

Why not simly sourround the impact-spot with windows? Use a cleaning-mechanismus after a long execution-day, that floods the pit with water (or magma), then open the hatch and the windows are perfectly clean for the next siege.

clean, save (unless you pit buildingdestoyers) and if you use a magma-cleaning-system it even becomes dwarfy. (And functions as a heating-system for those cold underground-days)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 02:40:33 am »

Why not simly sourround the impact-spot with windows? Use a cleaning-mechanismus after a long execution-day, that floods the pit with water (or magma), then open the hatch and the windows are perfectly clean for the next siege.

clean, save (unless you pit buildingdestoyers) and if you use a magma-cleaning-system it even becomes dwarfy. (And functions as a heating-system for those cold underground-days)

This one I like a lot. Are gem windows magam proof too? Or does it depend on the MP of the gems involved?