Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Biggest hurdle in your process through the learning curve?  (Read 2159 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest hurdle in your process through the learning curve?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »

Military, definitely. The equipment, the schedules, the burrows, training, combat, every aspect of it is a buggy hell - exacerbated by an overcomplicated interface spread across too many redundant screens full of unique hotkeys to learn.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:32:49 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:00 pm »

Utilizing the caverns, and the cotton candy spires.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 10:51:38 pm »

Burrows and efficient fortress construction. If you get a good tutorial and reference the wiki frequently, you pick up on many things rather quickly.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:51 am »

I still don't know how to work with the caverns now :P

I guess that's my main one.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:50 am »

Modding I guess.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 04:49:22 am »

stockpiles and workshops, how to arrange them the best way, which workshops take which source materials, which workshops should be near which stockpiles and near which other workshops....

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 05:45:25 am »

Moods. They always ask for something I'm not interested in and don't have. Combining this with my hatred of having dwarves die it means I would often freeze up, worrying about dwarves going crazy because they want tanned hides and I never built a tannery.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 06:10:09 am »

Moods. They always ask for something I'm not interested in and don't have. Combining this with my hatred of having dwarves die it means I would often freeze up, worrying about dwarves going crazy because they want tanned hides and I never built a tannery.

You can turn off artifacts in init_d, if it's too frustrating :D

To contribute to the thread, it's the mechanics, the hook-up, gears, levers and power transmission. I'm still learning to do it well and efficiently!

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 06:34:46 am »

Military, definitely. The equipment, the schedules, the burrows, training, combat, every aspect of it is a buggy hell - exacerbated by an overcomplicated interface spread across too many redundant screens full of unique hotkeys to learn.

Military, yeah. In general. Equipment for sure. But... buggy as hell? I never really had an issue with the scheduling, or training (except when no matter how many 'minimum' there is they still don't wanna train...).. Other than that there hasn't been much. But definately military.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:11 am »

Advanced mechanics? Drawbridges, floodgates, traps? Easy. Pumps and windmills? Not so much.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 10:07:37 am »

Getting over wanting to reload a save whenever something tiny went wrong; be it the forts first death, an accidental flood, that rhesus macaque who happened to steal a sock...

As soon as I recognised how wonderful a mechanic the forced save-and-exit is; the entire game became that much enjoyable. Plus you get to experience situations that you never would if you were allowed to make sure everything went perfectly to plan.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 12:28:40 pm »

Military, yeah. In general. Equipment for sure. But... buggy as hell? I never really had an issue with the scheduling, or training (except when no matter how many 'minimum' there is they still don't wanna train...).. Other than that there hasn't been much. But definately military.

Well, it depends on how you define the word 'bug.' For example, say I have plenty of equipment (crossbows/quivers/bolts), and I order a marksdwarf squad to engage enemies.. if two never show up, two show up with no crossbow, three show up with an empty quiver, and three actually are able to fire 20 shots or so before running out and standing there, staring the enemy to death, unable to reload from the ammo stockpile they're literally standing on - I consider that buggy.

Sure, I've learned the workarounds, there are clunky ways encourage more dwarves to actually get their equipment before entering combat, and ways to force reloading, but it's not the way the game should behave in my opinion. Someone else might say that that's just the way the game works, an added challenge you have to deal with, it's a matter of opinion.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:36:05 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »

Military, definitely. I still can't build a succesful one without danger rooms, either I'm doing something wrong or the dwarves really do take years and years to become fully trained. Also, haven't figured out yet how to succesfully train marksdwarves at all, I'm only a Dabbling Burrow-user, and scheduling anything more complicated than "train in barracks 24/7/365" is black magic to me.

I can succesfully defend my forts with 1-2 10 dwarf strong squads of danger room'd hammer- and axedwarves most of the time, but this does feel cheap and I'm trying to learn how to do it the correct way.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:34 pm »

the new military screen was the biggest hurdle for me moving from 40d to 31.xx

and on a similar note, patrol routes. i still haven't quite figured those out.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:37 pm »

Digging too quickly.
I have a tendency to dig straight down as soon as I start a fort, get to candy as quickly as possible and then dig down through that.
And then the fortress is overrun by HFS.
Rinse and repeat.
I actually lost a fortress to HFS before the first caravan arrived once.
Pages: 1 [2] 3