Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What was the name of that show/movie/song/etc?  (Read 1410 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was the name of that show/movie/song/etc?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »

The purpose of this thread is for people to help people identify stuff they encountered in the distant past but can't remember the name or where they saw it. It will probably involve a lot of misremembered details and vague descriptions!
I'm going to rashly assume I'm not the only one who has these.

I have two remembered scenes/episodes, both from live-action shows that were on YTV, probably in the 90's.
The first one I remember clearly because it traumatized me at the time. In it, some people had invented a helmet that allowed people to pass through solid walls. They demonstrated it on a dog. Apparently it didn't work properly if you were thinking/smart, and they demonstrated this by showing off a horrifying series of walls with stone people reaching desperately out of them. The main character somehow ended up using it at some point and almost got stuck in the wall, having to clear his mind to make it through.
I can remember all that, but have no idea what show it was.

The second is from a friend, though I have vague memories of it as well. Apparently it involved a fox which had glass eyes, and had to eat lemons(?) from a special place in order to gain real ones. Or something.
I thought it was an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, but they're pretty sure it's not.
EDIT: Found it!  It was Round the Twist

Anyone have a clue?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:29:42 am by DeKaFu »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What was the name of that show/movie/song/etc?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:10 pm »

I was thinking Are You Afraid of the Dark with the first one as well.

Fox with glass eyes... was this Live action or animated?

EDIT:
Chances are the first one could've been Outer Limits or Twilight Zone. Then again, Outer Limits had a few interesting episodes during it's 90s run.

EDIT EDIT:
Then it would likely have been Goosebumps, though I haven't watched it before.

Still no luck with the glass-eyed fox though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:37:43 am by Itnetlolor »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58:23 pm »

First one definitely wasn't Twilight Zone. I'm pretty sure it was a youth-aimed show, because the main characters were kids, and I have the impression that the show had a continuous story, unlike all of those. I don't know for sure, though...

The second was live-action too.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:13:56 am »

There's a film I vaguely remember my parents watching sometime around 1995 that involved a much-beloved teacher being ousted from his job under suspicion of homosexuality, but I never knew the name of it. Any ideas?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:24 am »

I guess I could ask it here; I have forgotten the name of one movie I can remember. It went roughly like this (it was revealed in different order in the movie); some anti-death-penalty woman has a cancer. She commits a suicide which is filmed and then another anti-death-penalty guy is framed for the murder. He is sentenced to death and just after he is executed, the video (showing the womans suicide) get published. Anyone know the name of this one?
?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:56 am »

There's a film I vaguely remember my parents watching sometime around 1995 that involved a much-beloved teacher being ousted from his job under suspicion of homosexuality, but I never knew the name of it. Any ideas?

shit man, I just watched that movie!

well... maybe not, but there is a movie with the exact same storyline, but it wasnt made in the 90s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_What_I_Am

E: now time for my request. It's a song that was probably on a game show. I remember vaguely how it has a funny name. It kinda sounds like this
E:E: In a stroke of awesome luck Ifound my song. it's called the spanish flea.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:54:22 am by Ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:14 am »

i think the fox was from round the twist, but i could be way off...It just really reminds me of something from paul jennings...

edit, yeah i found the story with the fox, from the book: "This is a chilling picture book with a twist in the tail, as Paul slowly brings a fox back to life by feeding its fur with lemons from the tree above its grave. But its the lemons above Paul's grandfather's grave that give the fox its final gift, sight... "

thx for the complete spoiler amazon :'(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:16:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:06 am »

i think the fox was from round the twist, but i could be way off...It just really reminds me of something from paul jennings...

edit, yeah i found the story with the fox, from the book: "This is a chilling picture book with a twist in the tail, as Paul slowly brings a fox back to life by feeding its fur with lemons from the tree above its grave. But its the lemons above Paul's grandfather's grave that give the fox its final gift, sight... "

thx for the complete spoiler amazon :'(

That's exactly it! Awesome.  :D
I'd forgotten about that show. I remember the episode where the person grew extra fingernails really creeping me out...

EDIT:
I guess I could ask it here; I have forgotten the name of one movie I can remember. It went roughly like this (it was revealed in different order in the movie); some anti-death-penalty woman has a cancer. She commits a suicide which is filmed and then another anti-death-penalty guy is framed for the murder. He is sentenced to death and just after he is executed, the video (showing the womans suicide) get published. Anyone know the name of this one?
I found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_of_David_Gale
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:43:41 am by DeKaFu »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:42:00 am »

EDIT: gah double post

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:53:26 am »

I found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_of_David_Gale

Thanks!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:31 am »

People outside Australia actually watch "Round The Twist"? *falcepalm* (unless you are actually in Australia, so disregard this, except why the hell u watching that in the first place?)

Why not watch Silversun or Lockie Leonard? Both of those are Australian series better than Round The Twist, and aimed at about the same age-group.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:24:19 am by Reelyanoob »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

Holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit I was thinking of making this exact topic.

Anyways, the only movie I can think of(and honestly don't know why I remember it) is probably so obscure that I doubt Youtube, or for that matter, even the places that require an eyepatch to enter, will have it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.