Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves can't make high boots?  (Read 8110 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Dwarves can't make high boots?
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »

So, I just went to set up a uniform and found that High Boots were (Foreign).
Curious as to why this was, I went to check and see if I could make High Boots and, lo and behold, I could not.

Is this because my civilization lacks the ability? High boots are in the dwarven entity file.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can't make high boots?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:19 pm »

the are common, not forced so sometimes lacking. low boots and greaves are full cover, use them instead. ou alwas have enough for a full armor set.
sorr keboard is bad atm, cant write proper hope this is still helpful...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:16:38 pm by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:11:16 pm »

the
Number4 Cancels Post: Job Item Lost or Misplaced!

(Also, an unrelated question: Are burrows forgotten when a fort is abandoned? If I reclaim an abandoned fort that heavily relied on burrow usage, will I need to make all those burrows again?)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:35 pm »

edited first post, looking for new keboard now. :(
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »

i cant find my reference, but i remember reading that just because a race is marked as being able to make something in the entity file, does not mean that all civs of this race will.  i'm not sure of the factors involved, but i think it may have to do with the materials avalable to the parent civ, kinda like how dwarf civs without caverns can not produce underground plants
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

i cant find my reference, but i remember reading that just because a race is marked as being able to make something in the entity file, does not mean that all civs of this race will.  i'm not sure of the factors involved, but i think it may have to do with the materials avalable to the parent civ, kinda like how dwarf civs without caverns can not produce underground plants

You'll always have leather, so this isn't why.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 04:54:32 pm »

All races have at least one of every armor level for those that exist that they have at least one of in their entity file. In other words, dwarves always will have at least one piece of torso clothing, at least one piece of torso level 1 armor ("leather" armor, normally leather armor), at least one piece of torso level 2 armor (chainmail, normally mail shirts), and at least one piece of torso level 3 armor (plate mail, normally breastplates). If there isn't anything for a particular armor level, like how there aren't any level 3 headpieces, nothing is chosen for that level. Since both low boots and high boots are level 1* armors, at least one of them is chosen, but not always both. It appears to be random which pieces of clothing and which pieces of armor are chosen for any given civilization.

I suspect, given that I've never had a fort without caps available, that level 0* items - that is, items without an [ARMORLEVEL] but with the [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] tag - are considered separate from simple level 0 items. That, or items with [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] are considered to be the highest level they can be. Regardless, since the actual armor levels are more-or-less redundant now, it's all probably quite confusing for those of us who haven't been playing long enough to remember when you couldn't custom-make your uniforms.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »

edited first post, looking for new keboard now. :(
Why?  You typed your theory okay...

(Or should that have been "Wh?  ou tped our theor oka..."? :) )

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:02 pm »

Ah, alright. That explains it, then :D
Thanks, everyone

Number4: Sorry to hear about your keyboard. I didn't know that lowboots and greaves were full coverage when combined, that's good to know.

Necro: Does the uncommon/common/rare/etc tag in an entity provide a weighted outcome for the random selection or does it just decide how frequently an NPC of that race will be wearing the item?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:37:22 pm »

Necro: Does the uncommon/common/rare/etc tag in an entity provide a weighted outcome for the random selection or does it just decide how frequently an NPC of that race will be wearing the item?
Yes, probably  ;D

More to the point, those tags don't appear to matter for what NPCs wear. In particular, you can't make enemies wear hand or foot armor, even if they have gauntlets or boots as FORCED items. So the various weights probably affect how likely a given civilization is to have access to that particular clothing type. FORCED items are always usable by all civilizations of that entity, COMMON items usually are, UNCOMMON usually aren't, and RARE almost never are. Unless, of course, there's only one piece on that body part of a given armor level, in which case IIRC even RARE types will always appear.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:37:47 am »

So, my keyboard seems to repair itself on its own. "Incredibly quick to heal" I guess.

The only question that remains: Are high boots + greaves better protection against stabs to the shin then greaves only, or "if you're strong enough to penetrate one you'll penetrate the other anyway"?

Remember that some pieces of armor are slightly buggy, including high boots, as they should use more then one bar of metal.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:06:37 am »

So, my keyboard seems to repair itself on its own. "Incredibly quick to heal" I guess.

The only question that remains: Are high boots + greaves better protection against stabs to the shin then greaves only, or "if you're strong enough to penetrate one you'll penetrate the other anyway"?

Remember that some pieces of armor are slightly buggy, including high boots, as they should use more then one bar of metal.
The overlap does help, even if it's candy axe vs copper armor. I mean, granted, it still won't be great protection against a candy axe, but it's better.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:16:02 am »

wierd, i remember being able to make leather and cyan high boots