Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: when the next patch will be released?  (Read 2455 times)

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
when the next patch will be released?
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »

no one knows?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when the next patch will be released?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »

You don't have it yet? I installed last night, it's awesome! :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

no one knows?

1) It's an update, not a patch.  A patch, by definition, doesn't contain the entire game, just the bits that were changed.
2) No, no one knows.  It's not like it has a date.  It gets done when it gets done, not a minute sooner, so stop whining.
3) We have one of these threads about every month or so.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »

Month? I'd say every week.

On the other hand they're not so bad. I like discussing the next update in general without clogging up the FotF thread.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:55:04 pm »

"More often than is necessary."

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:38:03 pm »

Judging by what toady said the other day, the next version will be in a few years.

Ah yes, here.
Quote from: Toady One
I'm still cleaning up the material breath interaction rewrite, which seems to indicate that adding tags for every animal is going to be very hard to finish in any kind of reasonable time, if they all turn into large projects like this. Once this batch of eight is finally handled, I'll have to think about what's going to work for the remaining 112, but spending two days on every one during the weekends would take longer than two years, so that's not going to work. a while to the next update then. See you in a few months for a short break.

;)

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »

Holy crap, now i see how complex and deep this game is.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »

Holy crap, now i see how complex and deep this game is.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02:18 pm »

Judging by what toady said the other day, the next version will be in a few years.

Ah yes, here.
I'm still cleaning up the material breath interaction rewrite, which seems to indicate that adding tags for every animal is going to be very hard to finish in any kind of reasonable time, if they all turn into large projects like this. Once this batch of eight is finally handled, I'll have to think about what's going to work for the remaining 112, but spending two days on every one during the weekends would take longer than two years, so that's not going to work. a while to the next update then. See you in a few months for a short break.

;)

Emphasis mine. If you're going to directly quote Toady, it's best not to put statements like that in his mouth or indicate they aren't his. I had to re-read that devlog post just to make sure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

"More often than is necessary."
Don't know why I thought it might be, but I had to glance twice to check that the acronymic version of your quoted text wasn't intended to spell "M O N T H".

(How about: "More Overly Numerous Than Helpful"? :) )

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »

Ah yes, here.

;)
That mention of two years in the dev log has nothing to do with the next version, but with the completion of the sponsorship drive, if he gave the same amount of attention to the following 112 animals as he has to the current batch of eight (and the drive is something he has said he wants to finish before its anniversary, so that's even more reason to disbelieve the years to next release thing). Judging by your wink and your edit to the quote, you know that, but others might take it serious. So no, it is not going to take years for the next version to come out. It'll be a few weeks, perhaps two months.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

a couple weeks to a month at the current rate of progress. He is doing markets, then finishing up night creatures probably, and then tying up loose ends in the code and other unforeseen features. A month, maybe two. In the meantime, enjoy the daily devlog posts.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »

Hey, another one of these threads, it must be Thursday.

But in seriousness, it'll be done when it's done.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »

no one knows?

I don't think even Toady One the Great knows.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

no one knows?

I don't think even Toady One the Great knows.
But somewhere in-between the moment {some particular compile goes through without a hitch/passes whatever running tests are needed on the executable/is successfully uploaded to the server} and an inconceivably short time after he adds some note to the effect that "Dwarf Fortress 0.31.++$n has been released" to the web-site and forums... he is, for that moment in time, very probably the only one who knows that the next version is about to be downloaded by millions of other people.  (Er, a handful.  (Er, probably somewhere between those two figures.))  And is about to be put to the most punishing tests that those int(10**rand(7)) people can possibly devise...
Pages: [1] 2