Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This Game Is So FUN!  (Read 3695 times)

BrilliantGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This Game Is So FUN!
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:13 pm »

But extremely hard >:(.  How can i get a fortress where i don't get attacked by a berserk camel or something?  Is there a trick to all this?  I love this game in adventure mode and have started doing good at fortress mode, I was doing great until a camel attacked and killed half my village.  I then made it through the winter but my base got screwed up do to a problem with the river where i channelled it straight into my base and got flooded :-X
It's only a wolf...that happens to look like a giant cave spider...OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T I MOVE!!!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Game Is So FUN!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:49:54 pm »

Camels have hooves, so I wouldn't recommend sending your army after it. Better to wall yourself off from the surface and hide underground, where nothing can hurt you. e_e The underground is your only friend...Yes...
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:54:12 pm »

You might want to embark on "Calm" sites and if you dislike camels so much, may I suggest some temperate biomes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

Clearly, the only solution is to buid an elaborate system of pumps and channels to drain your flooded base while drowning bloodthirsty quadruped.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:59:11 pm »

Is there a trick to all this?

No, actually you are doing it quite right, carry on good sir!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »

A camel attacked? You maybe embarked on a "haunted" biome, which means evil, agressive creatures. Avoid those at the beginning. You may also consider embarking with a dedicated guardsdwarf, skilled with axe or shord sword and shield + bringing enough metal ore to forge a full set of steel armor and a steel weapon (add a wooden shield as shield material isnt important). This one should take care of most wildlife easily, however try to stay away from anything that sounds dangerous (and yes, big animals with hooves are dangerous)

Or dig underground, dig a moat, raise a drawbridge and shut up shop till you can return with a full, trained, finely armed and armored squad of soldiers.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:29 pm »

The solution of course is to capture the enraged camel and unleash it upon goblins in an arena.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »

What made the camel enraged?

You could always try making cage traps in your entryway. We don't have animal feed in the game yet, so they'll starve in cages, unfortunately. You could always immediately butcher them though. It's free food, and you coud use the bones for making crossbow bolts.

BrilliantGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »

The reason the camel attacked was because some idiot merchant came and didn't bring any water so him and his maceman gaurd and his camel went berserk.  and it was a camel (tame).  btw, i lived in a cold place so there were no camels
It's only a wolf...that happens to look like a giant cave spider...OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T I MOVE!!!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »

(add a wooden shield as shield material isnt important).
It is, actually. Ever since the targeted attacks update, the denser/heavier your shield, the better for combat.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: What the hells a learning curve?

Get your fortress defensible as quickly as possible, you need a bridge hooked up to a lever to have any real protection doors won't cut it. When you have a base you can fall back to start spamming cage traps, pretty soon you'll be chilling on your huge piles of meat and leather in your base defended by war camels.

It doesn't matter what you do though, you are going to fail simple projects constantly and your dwarves will be killed in spectacular fashions by animals, floods, magma, cave ins, invaders, and their own stupidity with terrifying regularity typically due to some small oversight on your part, if this isn't true you've done something wrong.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

Training up a proper military isn't particularly difficult and gives you something to do with all those immigrant Animal Trainers and Fish Dissectors. A mere handful of dwarves with appropriate equipment and fighting skills can stand up to a surprising amount of force.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:48 am »

You may also consider embarking with a dedicated guardsdwarf, skilled with axe or shord sword and shield + bringing enough metal ore to forge a full set of steel armor and a steel weapon
honestly, for early game, 1 dwarf with a shield and 5 points dumped into shield user, kinda cant be fucked with.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:33 am »

(add a wooden shield as shield material isnt important).
It is, actually. Ever since the targeted attacks update, the denser/heavier your shield, the better for combat.

I didn't say it makes no difference at all, just not important. Best material is copper.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:25 am »

The reason the camel attacked was because some idiot merchant came and didn't bring any water so him and his maceman gaurd and his camel went berserk.  and it was a camel (tame).  btw, i lived in a cold place so there were no camels
Ok, that is important information you didn't mention at first - you've got merchants going berserk. That's to do with them being unable to carry out their job properly: coming over to your depot and then leaving when it's time. You've cut off their path of access somehow hence they went berserk. Water is irrelevant to this.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2