Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition  (Read 65198 times)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »

If you download the file with putty already set up from this thread, you literally just run the file.

As for setting up a server, just go to the DFterm thread.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »

Could someone PM me detailed instructions on both how to join and how to set your own server up? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to ignore "PM" and post the instructions for both here, so that we can start up an FAQ or something.

To join a server:
1. Download the compressed file (zip or tar.bz2, depending on your OS) from the links on the first post.
2. Unpack the file. If you downloaded the proper file for your system, you shouldn't need any external tools. Windows can open ZIP archives natively, and Linux comes with GNU TAR, which can open tar.bz2 archives.
3. Run the batch file (or shell script, for Linux) that corresponds to the server and tileset you want to use.
4. Enjoy!

To create a server:
1. Download and install dfterm2. Download link can be found in this post.
2. If you are behind a router, DSL modem, or something of that nature, open port 8000. The process varies by make and model, so check your router/modem's manual.
3. Open port 8000 in Windows Firewall. Check the Windows website for instructions on how to do this. Alternatively for Linux, run this command in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPTAfterwards, make sure any anti-virus software you may have installed won't interfere with port 8000 in any way.
4. Shoot a message towards either Carnes or me with your IP address (go to http://www.whatismyip.com if, like most people, you don't know it off the top of your head). We'll check to see if everything works ok, and if it does, we'll add your server to the list.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:47 pm »

If I could get a wired connection to my second computer, I would run a server on it. I'm not willing to run it on this computer, because... well, I would rather run linux on the other one >_>

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:44 am »

I was asking because I'd like to try this with a friend. Is it possible to make a private server for the two of us?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2011, 04:27:54 am »

Huh why haven't I noticed this before? Downloaded  and trying this out!

Ok so far I am consistently getting a connection refused error. Halp?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:31:23 am by Jelle »

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:08 am »

I was asking because I'd like to try this with a friend. Is it possible to make a private server for the two of us?
It is.
My friend just set it up within an hour, and we're happily embarking and frolicking together.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2011, 11:46:22 am »

Huh why haven't I noticed this before? Downloaded  and trying this out!

Ok so far I am consistently getting a connection refused error. Halp?
Server's down right now. Should be back up within a few days.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:14 pm »

I can try to host one, if you guys like. After all, hosting TF2 didn't slow my computer down at all, and I've taken that offline for the time being.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »

Server 1 is back up.  Looks like it died just past midnight EST, sorry guys. 

If someone wants a private server, that's no problem.  I can put server 2 online and PM the admin username/passwd.  Just send me the details.. like init settings, mods required, and whatever else.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »

Server 1 is back up.  Looks like it died just past midnight EST, sorry guys. 

If someone wants a private server, that's no problem.  I can put server 2 online and PM the admin username/passwd.  Just send me the details.. like init settings, mods required, and whatever else.

I think he was more wanting to host a server for just him and his friend, by setting it up for himself. He being the host, and all that.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »

ah ok.  It's not too bad to host it.  I have only done the hosting on linux but Zeranamu has successfully run a windows copy.  I'll make a webpage tonight/tomorrow that let's other players register their servers.  This way we can have a centralized location for all DFTerm2 servers for people to look at.

Here is the DFTerm2 thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50643.0
My experiences so far are pretty good.  Though i don't recommend using the http/flash option right now.  It's slower than putty and some people have problems using the alt/esc + # options.  In the end though, running everything through a browser seems the best option.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »

ah ok.  It's not too bad to host it.  I have only done the hosting on linux but Zeranamu has successfully run a windows copy.  I'll make a webpage tonight/tomorrow that let's other players register their servers.  This way we can have a centralized location for all DFTerm2 servers for people to look at.

Here is the DFTerm2 thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50643.0
My experiences so far are pretty good.  Though i don't recommend using the http/flash option right now.  It's slower than putty and some people have problems using the alt/esc + # options.  In the end though, running everything through a browser seems the best option.
Yeah, it's not that much work. It's more than I'd like to put out, but maybe not Mormota. I just want to be able to play DF on this (fast) computer from my slow laptop. He actually wants to do things with friends. Thinking about it, that would be a pretty good way to introduce someone to the game - let them see you play it, ask questions, etc. Anyway, thanks for the tips, and maintaining the sever(s)!

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:14 am »

Suddenly I can’t connect any more :(

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:42 am »

DFTerm2 server status page: http://cityofminds.info:800/dfmp/registry.php

If you'd like to add your server, please PM me the details and i'll put it right in for you.
Upcoming features:
  • List of online players, if the server is online.
  • Allow anyone to add a server.
The status page is located on the same box as Server 1.. so it really should be moved elsewhere.  Anyone have a "real" server and can donate an itty-bit of space?  Anyways.. i hope the page gets some use.  Please send feedback for improvements or general comments.  Oh, and if you can't read the status page.. lots of things are probably offline.

Other stuff.. the Therapist-like utility called Analyst is still under construction... trying to find a good way to cache all the data and feed updates to client browsers in a sane way.
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:03 am »

we had some fun building up base called Finger the Anus. the lag is annoying though
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19