Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea: Berserker Squad  (Read 1859 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Idea: Berserker Squad
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:34:39 am »

I thought of a Fun idea earlier, and I thought I'd see if anyone's tried anything like it.  Here it is:

As we all know, a berserk military dwarf can cause lots of carnage.  Now, what if an entire squad (or better yet, your entire military) went berserk together?
Here's how I'm picturing it:

1.  Lock each military dwarf in a small room.  The room should be really crappy.  You can give them food and drink, but nothing good enough to raise their mood.
2.  Gather their families (they ought to have large families into a room, and kill them all at once (I'm picturing spikes, but of course magma would work).  Do other stuff to upset them.  Y'know, make them go crazy.
3.  Once a lot of them have gone berserk, release them into the meeting area all at once.  (If any aren't berserk, don't release those ones)

I think this would be very enjoyable to see.  Only downside is, there's no way to guarantee a dwarf will go berserk.  But I bet it'd be worth a try!
Anyway, just thought I'd share.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Berserker Squad
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:55:35 am »

What kind of targets does berserkers goes after? Does they goes after each other? I've not much experience with them, short of being fortress-killers :o

Wondering if they can target enemies, would bring a new meaning to opening a can of whoop-ass.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:50 am »

Berserk dwarves don't eat or drink, so they'd start dying if you waited for others too long. This could actually work, though. I may test it out sometime soon.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:11:23 am »

That is a pretty decent idea! Using berserk dwarves sounds tempting. Though I'm not sure if the damage they inflict would be high enough to compensate all the dwarves you lost in the process.
I see it as a last resort tactic. Examples:
- main military forces got killed
- accidently made a second way in to your fortress
- clowns/FBs are knocking on your doors
- all of above
 Sacrificing  2-4 dwarves to save an entire fortress seems fine to me.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:13:16 am »

That is, assuming they actually become more effective by berserking.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:14:44 am »

Berserk dwarves don't eat or drink, so they'd start dying if you waited for others too long. This could actually work, though. I may test it out sometime soon.
Possible variation on the Doberman Bomb? Cage containing berserk dwarf, opened at enemy approach to bring carnage and distraction. I believe creatures in cages don't need food or water, being in suspended animation, though I might be wrong considering the number of animals I've had starve in cages.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 04:15:37 am »

Possible variation on the Doberman Bomb? Cage containing berserk dwarf, opened at enemy approach to bring carnage and distraction. I believe creatures in cages don't need food or water, being in suspended animation, though I might be wrong considering the number of animals I've had starve in cages.
Caged sentients do need food and drink. Goblins may make it seem otherwise, but they actually require no food nor drink even outside cages.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:21:07 am »

Caged sentients do need food and drink. Goblins may make it seem otherwise, but they actually require no food nor drink even outside cages.
Indeed, goblins have the: [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] tags in the raws. Hmm, is it possible to put a goblin in a berserk state? I saw trade elves go melancholy and stuff after locking them in...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:23:08 am »

Indeed, goblins have the: [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] tags in the raws. Hmm, is it possible to put a goblin in a berserk state? I saw trade elves go melancholy and stuff after locking them in...
Or you could just make Dwarves have the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] tags, just saying.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:23:23 am »

That is, assuming they actually become more effective by berserking.

I think they does in combat, at least the few times my military snapped that way, similar to enraged. Sounds like something to test to verify.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:00 am »

We need !!SCIENCE!! for this matter! Did anyone try pitting regular vs berserk fights in arena mode?
Wait a minute! Is there anyway of getting a berserk dwarf in arena mode?!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:47:26 am by KtosoX »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:54:03 am »

I think merchants can go crazy, but not invaders. Not 100% though.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:43 am »

I think merchants can go crazy, but not invaders. Not 100% though.
Never seen an invader go crazy, only merchants and dwarves. I thought I've seen dwarves in cage that's been constructed, of insane variant, get fed and watered, but that might've been back in 40d or misrecollecting of prisoners of justice system.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 05:42:56 am »

I think goblins can be only enraged, like all else, when fighting. Captives won't berserk even when kept in a small room, with 10 others, some of them eviscerated and without limbs. Vomit, blood and pus everywhere. For years. Or maybe they have a very, very high threshold for insanity, but somehow I doubt it.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:17 am »

That is a pretty decent idea! Using berserk dwarves sounds tempting. Though I'm not sure if the damage they inflict would be high enough to compensate all the dwarves you lost in the process.

Actually, in my mind, the other dwarves were the target.   :P
But yeah, if we can get them to attack enemies, that'd be even better!  More useful, at least.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: [1] 2