Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294986 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7890 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:56 am »

That's kind of odd, since zombies in my games have always had surprisingly good accuracy, hitting me in the eyes or mouth most times. Not sure why, maybe it's just bad luck.

I always used to die from head damage until I started taking glass jaw, now I don't seem to get hit there much :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7891 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:03 am »

Can we get rammed earth walls?

Cataclysm currently lacks things like clay, gravel and sand, but I can take a look at that sure,
New version of my construction extension mod thing up.

Do you have it as source so I can run it on Linux :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?42q569blmke9eh4
'ere ye go.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:04:41 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »

Can we get rammed earth walls?

Cataclysm currently lacks things like clay, gravel and sand, but I can take a look at that sure,
New version of my construction extension mod thing up.

Do you have it as source so I can run it on Linux :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?42q569blmke9eh4
'ere ye go.

You could just go with needing dirt floor, a shovel, some water and LOTS of time...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7893 on: November 15, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »

Well, I could just go for basic earthen ramparts pretty simply. Just have digging a pit yield several dirt clods which can be packed into a wooden frame to make a wall. But I'd need to make it pretty weak, having a proper wall would need to have a higher cost.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: November 15, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »

Aye, also figure you can go the ancient route of baked-mud/clay walls. Slightly stronger than basic dirt/adobe walls, but nowhere as good as wood or metal.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: November 15, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »

Well, I could just go for basic earthen ramparts pretty simply. Just have digging a pit yield several dirt clods which can be packed into a wooden frame to make a wall. But I'd need to make it pretty weak, having a proper wall would need to have a higher cost.
If you're going to go that far, it would make sense, perhaps, to make puts in a row make a trench, instead of the odd current method.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: November 15, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »

I'd like to see increased difficulty in climbing out of a pit and over an obstacle - ie, very tough to climb from a pit onto a half-wall or window.  But as it is, I have extremely good results doing pit rings.  Find a field somewhere, I usually pick one in the middle suburban area of town, and dig a row of pits along the outer edge, which will take quite a while to perform.  Then skip a row, and add another row of pits.  This way when zombies fall in and die, you can walk between the pits and collect loot safely.  2 rows of spiked pits are almost always fatal, 3 rows of regular pits are fairly lethal too.  I've almost managed to get 3 rows of spiked pits before, which would give you pretty much assured killing of anything short of hulks.

Clothing stores are your friend, 2 doors in front and 3 changing rooms, quite a few 2x4s!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:04 pm »

I prefer to lay them in an X pattern, as to cover more terrain and dig less.

x-x-x-x-
-x-x-x-x
x-x-x-x-x
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:27 pm »

New release!
Sorry it took so long.  But it's a pretty big, interesting update.
Clean build required.  Saves... maybe compatible.  I wouldn't count on it.
I'll be catching up with some of the cool recent mods pretty soon.

Features:
  • Random artifacts.  Yup.  They are pretty cool and will only get cooler.  They are also pretty hard to find, and only appear in a couple dungeons.
  • Temples.  They're much shorter and simpler right now than I envisioned, but they'll get better in the future.  They are trap and puzzle oriented.  This comes with lots of new traps, terrain types, and more.
  • Integrated Toolset overhaul.  It's now a crafting component in its own right, and as such will only work in certain recipes, or to replace certain tools.  It works as a hotplate or a soldering iron, but doing so will drain your power.
  • cryo's audible monsters mod.  You can try to locate nearby monsters by the sound they make when moving.
  • Sewer plant computers allow you to map out the sewers.
  • Items have a poison level.  This removes the hard distinction between clean water and dirty water; you can no longer tell which is which via the crafting level, or other tricky methods such as stack compatibility.  It also means that some water may be worse than others; for instance, water from the sewers is going to be much worse than water from a toilet tank.

Tweaks:
  • Weather updates every 2 hours, not every half-hour.
  • Really loud sounds will always reduce the spawn counter by as much as possible.
  • Fleet-Footed no longer reduces the movement penalties from encumberance (foot, mouth, legs).
  • Items rust more slowly.
  • Falling a Z-level onto a trap will trigger the trap.  If you step off the ledge in a missile silo, you will fall all the way down to the bottom of the shaft, and probably die a horrible death.
  • Portal generator--still a useless item--has had its charge levels and use tweaked.
  • Gozu may appear.
  • Toxic gas in mines will spew from a vent endlessly, rather than just dissipating harmlessly.
  • Monsters at portal map extras are much less deadly.
  • Flying Polyps tweaked to be weaker.
  • Ant Queen has a more interesting--and more deadly--special attack.
  • Triffid Heart attack tweaked.  Triffid Heart death throes more interesting.
  • Overmap search function improved.
  • Minor butchering tweak.
  • Gourmands don't eat food quite so fast.
  • Damage from pits and spiked pits reduced a bit.

Bug fixes:
  • Static spawn monsters are more stable.  They should stay put if you flee, if you traverse stairs, if you die, save or quit.  Thus, fleeing a fungal spire will no longer mean it'll disappear forever, removing the chance to eliminate it and start fungal die-off.
  • Crash when the fire you're cooking with goes out mid-recipe fixed.
  • Food in bars is no longer eternally fresh.
  • Cornering ant tunnels are built properly.
  • Lab bionics rooms won't have doors leading right into the bionics chamber.
  • When monsters polymorph, their HP% will be maintained in their new form.
  • Temperatures for winter/fall weather were reversed.  Switched them to be correct.

Misc code notes:
  • Updated code_doc/TODO
  • color_to_int() and int_to_color() functions making saving colors possible.  Right now it's only used for saving artifacts.
  • New save file: save/artifacts.gsav.  Edit at your own peril.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: November 15, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »

Also viable, but to get the same coverage you need to dig the same amount and cover more ground.  You could actually double up your pits and still be able to snag loot:
Code: [Select]

NINJA: Forget all that, time to dive back into the fray~

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: November 15, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

New release!

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: November 15, 2011, 07:53:58 pm »

Temperatures for winter/fall weather were reversed.  Switched them to be correct.

As someone who's never managed to survive to experience a season change, can anyone tell me if cold weather actually has any influence on the character, their abilities, or the environment currently? Is it possible to actually freeze to death? Does "Rain" get retitled to "Snow"?
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:44 pm »

I haven't trawled the code that far, but there are diseases (ie, any status change) for cold and frostbite, and similar for heatstroke.  I don't know if the temperature actually gets that low, but there are allowances for cold damage, and there are special clothes that provide warmth.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: November 15, 2011, 08:47:46 pm »

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that temperature effects are disabled for now, but I don't remember where so if you ever freeze to death don't yell at me.

It was mentioned a while back the it did snow in the winter though. No word on exactly what effects (if any) it has.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »

*eagerly awaits port to windows*

This just gets better and better!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 777