Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296423 times)

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7065 on: October 18, 2011, 05:09:24 am »

Hallucinations are useful for training your unarmed combat.
Have anyone tried electrohack on robocop or turrets? So far I only found it useful when you have no ID cards.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:51 am »

Edit: Molotov cocktails seem awful loud - I admit I've never actually thrown one IRL but ingame it made an explosion and drew a decent horde of zombies. Seems to me like they wouldn't be *that* loud - a breaking bottle and the woosh of fire (and whatever noise a burning zombie makes).
Yeah. Molotov cocktails don't make that much sound IRL. Maybe it's the huge fire that draws attention of zombies.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:38 am »

Molotov cocktails also aren't made out of tequila in real life. I'm not really sure how much "real life" is factoring into this here.

Regarding relative noise, I'd compare it to breaking a window pane. It should probably be a little quieter than that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:17 am »

I think it's the light that's bringing zombies in. The zombies were originally based on L4D zombies, which do become aggravated with bright light.

Have yet to see a witch though.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 18, 2011, 10:41:53 am »

Are you sure tequila won't burn? I'm pretty sure that anything above 45 proof is at least slightly flammable.

I'm pretty sure it has to be over 100 proof to burn effectively, but unless tequila's really weak it should burn some.
Nothing important here, move along.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:23 am »

Are you sure tequila won't burn? I'm pretty sure that anything above 45 proof is at least slightly flammable.

I'm pretty sure it has to be over 100 proof to burn effectively, but unless tequila's really weak it should burn some.

Whether or not it burns, it won't burn well and certainly wouldn't explode. The best you'd get is probably a bit of fairly-harmless flame on the ground. I'm not sure how well ethanol burns to begin with, and even 100-proof alcohol is still 50% water, so a lot of the heat will go into both heating up the water and evaporating it (separate effects, each absorbing energy), also causing it to burn more slowly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 18, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

Umm, Molotov's don't explode per se, they just splash flammable fluids over everything and light them on fire.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Sure, but a bottle of rum/tequila/whatever isn't going to do that either to an appreciable degree.

According to Wikipedia, E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) has been used for them, but for what purpose I don't know.

Committing arson with them is one thing, but other uses (in real life, anyway) would require something much stronger than liquor.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »

That has irked me a bit since I started playing.  A Molotov Cocktail is called such because it uses a liquor bottle, but it's supposed to be filled with gasoline or turpentine.  There are very few consumable alcohols that can hold a flame at all, none of which would explode.

Speaking of alcohol, I've yet to see actual beer anywhere in the game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

That has irked me a bit since I started playing.  A Molotov Cocktail is called such because it uses a liquor bottle, but it's supposed to be filled with gasoline or turpentine.  There are very few consumable alcohols that can hold a flame at all, none of which would explode.

It doesn't really irk me because it's supposed to be a genre-staple kind of thing, not a realistic kind of thing.

Yeah... the problem is that, as far as I know, items are restricted to discrete usage effects. How drunk a bottle of alcohol gets you is not in any way variable. You'd need multiple effects, something like "weak alcohol" and "strong alcohol". Cataclysm suffers from a lack of continuity (in the mathematical sense) in that regard, unless I'm mistaken.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 18, 2011, 01:30:24 pm »

Yeah... the problem is that, as far as I know, items are restricted to discrete usage effects. How drunk a bottle of alcohol gets you is not in any way variable. You'd need multiple effects, something like "weak alcohol" and "strong alcohol". Cataclysm suffers from a lack of continuity (in the mathematical sense) in that regard, unless I'm mistaken.

Nah, it's fully possible to make a "weaker alcohol" effect.

Spoiler: iuse.cpp (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: disease.h (click to show/hide)

As shown, all you'd need to do is make a separate iuse:: entry with a smaller duration. The disease itself checks the remaining duration to see how badly you're drunk.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 18, 2011, 01:48:16 pm »

Actually, the current iuse::alcohol would work fine for beer.  Put a single charge of beer in an aluminum can.  A can of beer is about as inebriating as a shot of liquor (as our freshman orientation classes taught us) so it works out fine.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 18, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »

I hear this talk about butchering corpses.  I see no command to do so, and trying to (a)pply a Combat Knife (described as being useful for butching corpses) says I can't do anything interesting with it.  Do I have to learn a skill, or is there something else I'm supposed to do?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 18, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

I think it's the light that's bringing zombies in. The zombies were originally based on L4D zombies, which do become aggravated with bright light.

Have yet to see a witch though.
Shouldn't be too hard to mod in witches, though. Have her remain stationary, prints messages about hearing her cry whenever one is in the area, and make her run really really fast at you and kill you dead if you startle her(by getting too close, shooting her, or having a flashlight on near her). Maybe increase the spawn rate during really heavy storms.

I hear this talk about butchering corpses.  I see no command to do so, and trying to (a)pply a Combat Knife (described as being useful for butching corpses) says I can't do anything interesting with it.  Do I have to learn a skill, or is there something else I'm supposed to do?
There should be a command. "B" or "b", I think, but I can't check at the moment.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 18, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

shift-B to butcher
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 777