Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299727 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1935 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:48 am »

So far, it's seemed to me that the biggest factor in item management has been the 52-item limit.  I know you're working on stacking, which would help, but are there plans to NOT have all items bound to an a-Z key?

I'm on the fence about this one.  I've stuck to the roguelike-traditional a-Z inventory system for a lot of reasons; it allows for 2 (or 3, if there's a couple pages to tab through) keypresses for nearly any item interaction, it lets you use the same keypress you've memorized for a frequent action (e.g. taking pain meds), it lets armor and weapons be identified in the same way as in-inventory items, it's familiar to most roguelike players (used in crawl, nethack, *band), and generally quite simple (no menu system to learn).

However, I've also started considering a category-based inventory system, which would generate letters on the fly for items ('d' to drop, then 'c' for armor, then 'e' for the fifth item listed).  This would remove the need for item stacking (or at least make it less pressing), and possibly make finding items easier, but it would lose most of the advantages of the a-Z system.  We'll see!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 18, 2011, 03:38:55 am »

I just had a thought, and probably won't be able to fully explain it due to it being a thought.

For the 'a'pply, 'E'at, 'R'ead, and other commands, it doesn't give you a full list of items. Instead, it runs a check on your inventory, then presents you with a list of items that you have. For instance, crowbar would be c, so to use a crowbar to pry things, you would always just hit a c. Purified water would be p, while unpurified water, toxic or not, would be lumped under w. It wouldn't matter if you carried multiple of the item or not, it would simply stack them together in the various use item screens, perhaps with a total next to it. This would ALSO let you easily give integrated tools more uses as well as all the other various bionics that might have 'a'pply uses, by adding in a check for the bionic to the tool. Thus, a finger laser or short ranged flamethrower would count as a lighter in 'a'pply in addition to its normal uses.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:30 am »

I can't move with my numpad - different keys are assigned to inventory, wielding and so on. What can I do?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 18, 2011, 04:40:16 am »

Open your config file in notepad and adjust the key bindings.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 18, 2011, 04:40:37 am »

I can't move with my numpad - different keys are assigned to inventory, wielding and so on. What can I do?

you can press a key called 'Numlock' you silly goose  :D
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:05 am »

Open your config file in notepad and adjust the key bindings.
I don't have it, I'm connecting through SSH.
you can press a key called 'Numlock' you silly goose  :D
Tried, didn't work.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 18, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

This has massive potential and has quickly earned a place in my top 5 of roguelikes, which says a lot. Hopefully NPCs get enabled soon surely we can deal with whatever bugs there are. Please continue development I would hate this one to go the way of JADE, been waiting for that game more years than I spent playing ADOM, also saying alot...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: July 18, 2011, 05:17:02 am »

PuTTY features a bug which requires you to press ctrl+numlock in order to use the numpad.
Barring that, you could always learn vikeys ;)  I highly recommend it!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 18, 2011, 05:20:05 am »

That worked, thanks!  ;D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 18, 2011, 05:20:54 am »

This has massive potential and has quickly earned a place in my top 5 of roguelikes, which says a lot. Hopefully NPCs get enabled soon surely we can deal with whatever bugs there are. Please continue development I would hate this one to go the way of JADE, been waiting for that game more years than I spent playing ADOM, also saying alot...
It is an open source game, you could work on it yourself. Whale's code is AMAZINGLY well written and accessible, to the point where you don't need coding experience to read it. A bit farther and you could probably do most anything in it without knowing code beforehand.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 18, 2011, 05:25:45 am »

JADE 0.1.1 is out by the way. [/derail]

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27:31 am »

JADE 0.1.1 is out by the way. [/derail]

I know but you know what I mean :P

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 18, 2011, 09:22:55 am »

Attempting to reload a glass bottle of tequila (maybe some other objects) produces a grey message instead of red.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 18, 2011, 10:27:21 am »

So far, it's seemed to me that the biggest factor in item management has been the 52-item limit.  I know you're working on stacking, which would help, but are there plans to NOT have all items bound to an a-Z key?

I'm on the fence about this one.  I've stuck to the roguelike-traditional a-Z inventory system for a lot of reasons; it allows for 2 (or 3, if there's a couple pages to tab through) keypresses for nearly any item interaction, it lets you use the same keypress you've memorized for a frequent action (e.g. taking pain meds), it lets armor and weapons be identified in the same way as in-inventory items, it's familiar to most roguelike players (used in crawl, nethack, *band), and generally quite simple (no menu system to learn).

However, I've also started considering a category-based inventory system, which would generate letters on the fly for items ('d' to drop, then 'c' for armor, then 'e' for the fifth item listed).  This would remove the need for item stacking (or at least make it less pressing), and possibly make finding items easier, but it would lose most of the advantages of the a-Z system.  We'll see!

I think the big hang up here is the 'a' command. Everything uses it (tools, food, drugs, CMB modules, weapons mods, grenades, traps...the list goes on). I think if you broke the 'a' command into several separate commands you could have a context specific inventory list show up. That would allow each item to have a static a-Z key assigned to it within each menu. This should be a big deal in terms of having to remember multiple letters for an item because you typically only use each item for one thing outside of the craft menu. The only exceptions I can think of are hammers and crowbars which are standard melee weapons also used as tools outside of the craft menu.

The drop and inventory and container menus could be standardized to show a-j (ten) items per page. You could also use a crawl like system where you can filter by type of object you're looking for (firearms, ammo, consumables, weapons, clothing, other), which you make managing large inventories possible.

Speaking of containers, I would love to see a standardization between the drop and pick up screens so that you can a) multi-drop, b)exchange items and c)place items in containers. Exchanges can be technically challenging, but nethack has a good compromise system where you first pickup and then drop.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »

I once had an item assigned outside the a-Z group, to ` (Spanish keyboard, but that's a French accent character). Took me a while to find the correct key combination.

Probably a bug.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 777