Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hunting with your military?  (Read 3139 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting with your military?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »

Oh man, my militia captain just got his leg ripped off by a giant badger... he is lying on the ground bleeding out... a lye maker comes over to rescue him, but instead of taking him to the hospital, PICKS UP HIS SOCK AND CARRIES IT TO THE STOCKPILE!

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

Oh man, my militia captain just got his leg ripped off by a giant badger... he is lying on the ground bleeding out... a lye maker comes over to rescue him, but instead of taking him to the hospital, PICKS UP HIS SOCK AND CARRIES IT TO THE STOCKPILE!

You didn't expect this? Are you even playing DF?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »

Those giant badgers are tough!

One of my miners just got killed by a draltha. :(

It doesn't help that the only metal on my map is TIN! Waiting for autumn when the dwarf caravan will bring some steel...

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »

Leave hunting to rangers, My cadre of elite hunters (read: paramilitary force) extinctionated the elephants in my tropical island map repeatedly, and with ease. My entire fort had to become dedicated elephant processing to deal with the influx. My fort was adorned with elephant engravings, detailed in elephant bone, tooth, and ivory, and my military wore Elephant leather armor with elephant bone crossbows and Elephant bone bolts (or if I was feeling angry, silver. I was on a huge  pile of Galena), decorated with more bone, and ivory, and tooth. in the lull between a new herd of elephants rolling in I had time to deal with non-meaty industries, and covered a squad of adequate warriors with bronze, the best I could muster, aside from the leader and his iron breastplate (I've never made steel, and have no intention of starting to) and against a single elephant the entire squad was decimated. after recovering the armor and granting it to more deserving parties (read: the hunters) I decided that melee dwarves are idiots, and to just use marksdwarves for everything.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 03:16:02 pm »

I fight ONLY with military, I consider rangers useless. This is also a good training, because most of huntable animals are easy to kill in current version. If military can't kill a small bird or mammal, they are not fit to kill gobbos and trols.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 04:27:16 pm »

I prefer not to use the military, mostly because I want the enemies alive sometimes. on occasion I use them as power sources. instead of losing my haulers/engravers for Dwarflogic computation and repeaters, I use Gobb!Power for similar purposes.

When I do want them dead, I just use either intricate deathtraps, or ranger pillboxes, if I just want them out of my way so I can pull the fort off lockdown and get back to building. Dwarves just seem far inferior to robotic defenses. my ranger's are mostly for parading around, and keeping the peace when a tantrum spiral breaks out.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »

I fight ONLY with military, I consider rangers useless. This is also a good training, because most of huntable animals are easy to kill in current version. If military can't kill a small bird or mammal, they are not fit to kill gobbos and trols.
That only works in pussified biomes. A creatures that's 10 times the size of a dwarf is going to be dangerous no matter how good your dwarves are, unless they're clad in full adamantine armor.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 04:30:56 am »

That only works in pussified biomes. A creatures that's 10 times the size of a dwarf is going to be dangerous no matter how good your dwarves are, unless they're clad in full adamantine armor.

But the same creature would be dangerous for your hunters too. Though it's not actually true - the creature size is not really important, otherwise elephants (which are more than 10x or sometimes even 100x bigger than dwarves) would be deadly, and they are pussies. Creature's behavior and special features are more important. Nasty small creatures can be dangerous to untrained military.
Pages: 1 [2]