Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Uh...did everything just explode?  (Read 4046 times)

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Uh...did everything just explode?
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:28:48 pm »

Okay, I decided to start up an adventure mode in Genesis, playing as a Mindlfayer Archmaster, for funsies. First quest completed, everything is good. Killed two night monsters. Then, I go back and decide to pick up around five and do them all at once, well the first one I went to tackle was an Outlaw.

I fast-travel to the area next to the camp and head on in. The game seemingly locks up for around three minutes. Then a BLEEDING status greets me, and the area is filled with smoke. After the game chugs for a few moments, I get announcements telling me how basically I was caught in boiling magma and all the ground !!BURST!! and !!BOILED!!.  ???

Luckily, my ability to fly allowed me to escape with only a few missing appendages. The Orcs I was sent to kill, however, did not handle everything exploding too well. Also, the ground in the area is all sorts of jacked up after that little moment.

I traveled to another area, and...yeah. Same deal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:35:23 pm by Durandal »
Small dragons are cute and adorable.  It's the millennium old armor-plated fireballs that terrorize nations.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Uh...did everything just explode?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »

Wow.
I have never run into this sort of thing, and I use the Genesis mod as well.

Hm.

If only we had a clue as to how this came about... then perhaps we could perform a bit of !!SCIENCE!!

But as it is, we don't have much to guess on.
All I can say is, start over, hope that no more freak accidents occur.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »

You sure you didn't turn on the apocolips by mistake?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

Sounds like you got one of those lucky worlds. Oh you lucky, lucky bastard :P No one knows what causes it, but natural cave ins abound in these worlds. It's some terrain generation error or something.

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »

Haha. Yes, I do think i'm one of those "lucky"  8) ones. I restarted as an Obsidian Dwarf and had the ground once again explode, hurling me and the town I started in, into the depths of the world. I then exploded on the ground haha.

The only thing i've done to the game lately was add SoundSense into the Dwarf Fortress folder.
Small dragons are cute and adorable.  It's the millennium old armor-plated fireballs that terrorize nations.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »

Can you post the seed? I want to see this for myself.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:04:16 pm »

Can you post the seed? I want to see this for myself.

I do not know how to do that, unfortunately. Where could I look to figure that out?

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

Try gamelog.txt. There should be a few lines like this :

Generating world using parameter set CREATE WORLD NOW = x
 Seed: y
 History Seed: z
 Name Seed: w
 Creature Seed: t

x,y,z,w,t being different integers : the seeds.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »

Can you please upload the world to DFFD?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »

Load up the region in legends mode and press "p". This will create a few text files with information about the region in your DF folder, including one containing all of the world gen parameters. As long as the raws are the same, anyone using these parameters should generate the same world.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:59:57 pm »

Can you please upload the world to DFFD?

I am uploading it now..I think I did everything right. But just in case, I did include the World Gen Parameters.

Edit: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4552 Here's the link
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:27:19 pm by Durandal »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »

This happened to me with a (mostly) vanilla game on a custom world-gen.

I was moving along on the world map, I decided to stop in the woods to throw stones or something. It froze up, everything exploded in fire and I died.

Its some sort of rare bug. Probably related to the old 40d "volcanic eruption" bug that caused an embarked fort to instantly be killed by magma.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:56 pm »

To my understanding, what happens is this:

1) For some reason, the terrain of the world is generated in a way that it cannot support itself -- or at least, the top layer cannot.
2) Due to having physics and stuff, the top level of terrain collapses into whatever was below.

The "being blown apart" is an abstraction -- when you fall too far or slam into an obstacle, you blow up. Dwarf Fortress creatures are very nearly self-detonating.

I am not sure what causes the fire/heat/smoke type stuff though.

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:53 pm »

To my understanding, what happens is this:

1) For some reason, the terrain of the world is generated in a way that it cannot support itself -- or at least, the top layer cannot.
2) Due to having physics and stuff, the top level of terrain collapses into whatever was below.

The "being blown apart" is an abstraction -- when you fall too far or slam into an obstacle, you blow up. Dwarf Fortress creatures are very nearly self-detonating.

I am not sure what causes the fire/heat/smoke type stuff though.

That part confused me also, perhaps I just fell into the magma sea? There was usually a lot of reports of "Caught in boiling magma" and "Boiling -insert rock-"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:06 pm »

Actually, any ground or rock just shows up as 'boiling' when it caves in and turns to dust... That confused me too, when I first tested my diplomat-launcher! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3