Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Atom Smasher  (Read 2550 times)

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atom Smasher
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:20 pm »

Unfortunately, atom-smashed creatures do remain in your units list.  I'd be much more likely to obliterate migrants if I could atom-smash them off the list (So many pages of re-dead zombie-badgermen filling up the list as it is!)
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:53 am »

Lol, let's get toady to add gamma rays to the dev list. :P

siged
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:23 pm »

Lol, let's get toady to add gamma rays to the dev list. :P

Exactly! What classic dwarven fortress is without particle physics?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:21 am »

Unfortunately, atom-smashed creatures do remain in your units list.  I'd be much more likely to obliterate migrants if I could atom-smash them off the list (So many pages of re-dead zombie-badgermen filling up the list as it is!)
They remain as dead units if I remember correctly, as you get the purple message "Stray Kitten was crushed by a bridge".

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 04:19:12 am »

So if it were possible to utterly remove the creature from existance, without any message, also removing it from time itself and the history of the world it wouldn't clutter your units list?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 05:09:20 am »

So if it were possible to utterly remove the creature from existance, without any message, also removing it from time itself and the history of the world it wouldn't clutter your units list?

You probably removed hundreds of millions of them, but you don't remember.

Two tips for atom smasher:
1. Some creatures are too big to allow it to work (bridge won't close, like elephant calves), and some are even bigger (bridge will be destroyed while trying to smash them, like adult elephants). Creatures in cages are perfectly smashable though.
2. Surround your bridge with walls with one door, normally locked or tightly closed. Build a ramp or stairs and designate a 1x2 zone with pit and garbage disposal, on z-level+1. One tile must be over the hole (with bridge underneath) - this is a pit, and one tile must be over a floor, adjacent to the hole - this is a dump zone. Now you can pit useless animals (when small enough) and throw useless items to the same place. The door is to allow you to collect items/animals after change of mind, or if they were thrown there by accident. While mass dumping some dwarves may also fall into the pit, so it allows them to escape. The idea of a wall is to protect the wandering dwarves or pets while smashing.

Personally I also build a more complicated smasher - it works similar to the one described above, but dwarves throw items not on bridge, but on a mechanized hatch cover. The cover is over a magma cistern, with its own atom smasher. There are closed doors on diagonals on the hatch levels (diagonals - so miasma won't escape sideways), used to retrieve items. The atomsmasher in magma sea is used to dispose of magma-safe materials and grease which remains after burning larger corpses. Also there are doors to close the whole complex.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:05 am »

As for the idea of adding radiation, I'd dig it, I'd love to make dangerous areas intentionally radioactive.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »

Once we get radiation, trust me, elves will suffer mutate have fun.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2]