Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elephant men  (Read 3868 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elephant men
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:10 am »

I've never seen elephant men.  If they don't exist, can they be made to exist?

Just the thought of a biped intelligent tool user with a gore attack and three wielding appendages (hands and trunk) makes me think they would be impressive enemies.

Big enough to fight with two two-handed weapons and wield a shield with their trunk - AND if you get into close melee with you, they just stab you with their tusks.

Their potential for charge attacks should be pretty nice too.

You could just add them in and pretend they have always ruled the elves, but have just recently revealed themselves  :o
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Re: Elephant men
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:00 am »

Modding them in is easy, just make a request in the modding forum, and they'll take care of the rest
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:36 am »

It would still be nice if more animalmen were in vanilla. Especially elephant- and carp-men. Especially especially if Toady gives them weapons and armor and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »

Modding them in is easy, just make a request in the modding forum, and they'll take care of the rest

I generally don't play on mods.  Prefer vanilla, it's typically more stable.  DF crashing after a several-hours-long detailed session of micromanagement to resolve the growing pains of a fort tends to make Farmerbob cranky.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »

Elephant men should have vocalizations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ice cream for you if you get the reference.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »

I generally don't play on mods.  Prefer vanilla, it's typically more stable.  DF crashing after a several-hours-long detailed session of micromanagement to resolve the growing pains of a fort tends to make Farmerbob cranky.

There's already a template to make animal men provided by vanilla. Any modding would literally be copy - paste to make an elephant man. Instability isn't a problem.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »

Guys, "Mod the game" isn't exactly an answer to a suggestion in the suggestion forum.

ANYHOW

Given that Toady is updating every single animal from the animal drive so that they can be an animal man (I think) it is likely that Toady may extend it to the others.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

Guys, "Mod the game" isn't exactly an answer to a suggestion in the suggestion forum.

So what your saying is, when you want a hood ornament for your car. You shouldn't do it yourself, you should go the mechanic and demand he do it even though he's busy building an engine.

We have modding for this specific reason, so that we can add all the hood ornaments we like while Toady builds the engine.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:11:57 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

Yes it is, it's possible, toady gave us the ability to do it for this specific reason. So let's do it. The suggestion forum is for big suggestions. Why is it not an answer?

Because it is a suggestion for vanilla. If it was a question for how to mod in a creature it should go in the modding section.

Saying something like "Yeah, I'd like Elephantmen in the game too (or I don't want them in my vanilla). Until then however you can mod them in" would be more acceptible.

Since when you just go "You can mod it in" it comes off as an outright rejection of the idea as a whole.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »

^ I editted my last post. Please reread.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

So what your saying is, when you want a hood ornament for your car. You shouldn't do it yourself, you should go the mechanic and demand he do it even though he's busy building an engine.

We have modding for this specific reason, so that we can add all the hood ornaments we like while Toady builds the engine.

He isn't asking for a mechanic to add an ornament to his car.

He is going to the engineers, looking at the blueprint, and going "You know what? I think air conditioning would be great".

Which is why saying "Put an air conditioning unit in it yourself" isn't exactly an answer. Your not saying Yes or No.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:19:38 pm »

I see your point, however I know from the dev notes that Toady is actually, currently, adding creature types.  Meaning that this would be an ideal time to add elephant men, if he wants them in the game.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »

I guess so. Modding in something like an animal-man is very easy to do. Don't need to have Toady do it, since its literally as easy as copy-pasting some other similar animal entry, changing the name, tile and a few variables.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:29:04 pm »

I guess so. Modding in something like an animal-man is very easy to do. Don't need to have Toady do it, since its literally as easy as copy-pasting some other similar animal entry, changing the name, tile and a few variables.

He does need to add a few things. As not everything transfers over.

Plus some raws are missing... odd things.

For example Mooses lack a Antler Charge apperantly.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:31:17 pm by Neonivek »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

If I wanted mods, I'd mod.  I don't mod.

I'm not asking for a mod, I'm asking for something to be added to the base game.
Pages: [1] 2