Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifacts and stockpiles  (Read 957 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifacts and stockpiles
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:51:44 am »

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere...but damn this is annoying.

I currently have had two moods in my fort, and these moods have resulted in a perfect gem and a fox leather face veil. Aside from the obvious wtf factor of why a dwarf would want to make these things (at least, the second), I now have the problem that my dwarves will not move these items to ANY stockpile. At first, I thought it was just the perfect gem, but now with the veil also just sitting in the workshop, I'm beginning to wonder if there's some aspect of this that I'm not seeing. What can I do to get my dwarfs to move these damn useless artifacts into my vault?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts and stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:21:45 am »

create a garbage dump in the vault.
dump artifacts.
wait for them to be moved to the vault.
Unforbid them (or not, depending on your preferences)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:35:55 am »

but artifacts cannot be dumped, I thought...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:15 am »

Indeed they can't. I had the same problem so I opened up a post here : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87078.0
You might find something interesting.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:42:00 am »

There is a bug right now with large gems not moving around properly.  This might be related - at least in the case of the gem.

The face veil.  Hrm.

1) Create a stockpile for veils in a lockable room.  Disable veils wherever they might otherwise be stored.  After dwarves move all other veils, lock the room.

2) Create a uniform for one of your nobles that isn't wearing a veil that includes a veil and then see if they go pick it up and wear it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:44:19 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:44:04 am »

That's right, and is a right royal pain when you have a weapon covered in dangerous forgotten beast extract that can't be destroyed because the dwarf who killed said beast named it with his dying breath, thus bestowing artifact status on it :E

It sounds like a cliche, but I honestly think the only answer here is magma.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:49 am »

That's right, and is a right royal pain when you have a weapon covered in dangerous forgotten beast extract that can't be destroyed because the dwarf who killed said beast named it with his dying breath, thus bestowing artifact status on it :E

Have the wielder walk through a bath, or build a weapon trap in a bath.  I believe walking through 3 deep water washes off all blood / vomit / goo from everything a dwarf is carrying, as well as themselves?  Not sure about the weapon trap in a bath area though.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:58:10 am »

Liquids is a good idea. You can create a clever engineering construction to create a water flow from workshop(where artifact is lying) to the vault.
Your artifacts will just be pushed by flowing water to the right location.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:00:06 am »

And you can try throwing artifact around with bridge-driven catapult: make artifact fall on the bridge, rise the bridge, see where did artifact flies. repeat until in the right place.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:28:22 am »

Have the wielder walk through a bath, or build a weapon trap in a bath.  I believe walking through 3 deep water washes off all blood / vomit / goo from everything a dwarf is carrying, as well as themselves?  Not sure about the weapon trap in a bath area though.

Difficult to make a weapon trap in a bath, unless you're willing to drain it down to 1/7 to allow the construction to work. As far as I know, dwarves refuse to even designate building of any kind in more than 1/7 water, or work on such.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:45 am »

Difficult to make a weapon trap in a bath, unless you're willing to drain it down to 1/7 to allow the construction to work. As far as I know, dwarves refuse to even designate building of any kind in more than 1/7 water, or work on such.

Agreed, you would build the trap first, then the bath.  Not sure it would work the same way, but it might.  You would only do this if carried weapons are not wet and cleaned by a normal bath

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:17:41 am »

Could always build a shower over top the artifact to clean it. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:19:14 am »

Also, the man who made the Fox Viel is obviously the Gray Fox! Master Thief with Two Identities! and starring in Oblivion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »

okay, a kind of update, I suppose:

1) The veil did eventually get moved to the artifact vault stockpile. I'd screwed up the stockpile settings a bit, but I fixed it to allow the item. Excellent.

2) Not only did the perfect gem not get moved anywhere, but another mood resulted in a second one, which means they're both just sitting in the workshop, glittering. wtf.

On a side-note, I've got my artifact vault as a vault in a vault. We've got the main vault, used for masterwork items of the variety that the nobles seem to enjoy prohibiting export of (non-masterwork copies get magma), but I'm trying to think of what other items might go well in a vault. Coins? particularly valuable gem types?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

There is a bug right now with large gems not moving around properly.  This might be related - at least in the case of the gem.

The bug has nothing to do with "large gems", but with artifacts made of gems - large glass gems will get stockpiled just fine, but gem crafts (and gem furniture) will not.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2