Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to scale down the interface?  (Read 1094 times)

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to scale down the interface?
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:26 pm »

Are there any mods or tweaks in the ini that could be used to keep the right-side interface bar smaller or narrower?
I'm recently playing zoomed in a little bit to see what everything is (and it is more comfortable to me, the tiny blur on the sprites).
However, the right side black interface becomes so huge and bulky that it's hindering my view, ironic.

Surely there is some line of code or something somewhere that can shrink the right side, or something? Make it take up less horizontal space?
Thanks

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to scale down the interface?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:12 pm »

You can hide the right side panel with TAB, but i think i don't fully understand your problem.

EDIT: i think i know what you are trying to do now, you are trying to zoom in the map but not the right side panel (because if you zoom in it gets bigger too), i think you can't change that. BTW if you want bigger tiles (and you already use max zoom) use the Ironhand graphic set, it has 18x18 tiles (all others in the LNP have 16x16 tiles)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:46:59 pm by KurzedMetal »
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:33:02 am »

Oh! Tilesets can have bigger tiles? Hah, i was not aware.
Would it theoretically be possible for me to just resize a tileset to slightly larger, or would other stuff (text files etc) need to be changed as well then?
Can you reccomend any other big-tile packs?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:05:58 am »

You would be able to resize them, but the graphics would end up all messed up because the pixels would be pushed out of place and have nowhere to go );
[Signature]

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:11 am »

In DF you have "tilesets" and "graphic sets" (AFAIK, i'm kinda new too).
Tilesets have mostly ASCII based tiles, they are similar what DF use by default. (you can find a large list in the "Tileset Repository" wiki page)
and "graphic sets" are enhanced tilesets that usually use cute graphics to represent in-game features and needs to modify raw files to work properly.
I'm switching between the 3 most popular graphic sets right now (trying to find one i like, i've been using phoebus lately) and they are 16x16 or 18x18 only. But there are bigger tilesets (20x20, 24x24, 24x32, etc, i would recommend you to stick to square tiles if you want perfect map symmetry)

I have no clue how to resize/create a (tile|graphic)set.
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:22:29 am »

Resizing a tileset doesn't cause any odd problems other than altering the map ratio to match the tiles' ratio. I made a gridded tileset out of the square curses one by expanding the image in photoshop by a number of pixels in X and Y equal to the number of rows and columns, separating them all evenly and filling in the gaps with 1-pixel lines. Took mere minutes and it's surprisingly helpful in-game. There are other reasons to resize tilesets, too.

One other thing you should know is, you can zoom in and out by using the mouse's scrollwheel. Yes, you read that right. Go try it.

Edit:

You obviously didn't read correctly the OP :P

Haha, all I remembered after I read it was the first, third and fourth sentences. :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:29:03 am by Funburns »

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:37:15 pm »

I'm recently playing zoomed in.
One other thing you should know is, you can zoom in and out by using the mouse's scrollwheel. Yes, you read that right. Go try it.
You obviously didn't read correctly the OP :P

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies, helpful indeed  :)
I'm using Phoebus and quite like it, and usually zoom in a bit, works well so far :)