Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bottomless Pits  (Read 3111 times)

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Bottomless Pits
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:56:55 pm »

How likely do you think they'll be integrated again? My understanding is, they opened up hell, so he took em out. I really miss these things, along with the gremlins, ratmen, and batmen that came out of them.  :-\ Maybe one day he'll make an Abyss layer...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Bottomless Pits
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:32 am »

These things occur in the caverns now...

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:05:20 am »

Ya, true, but my point is there's no bottomless pits =P

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:21 am »

Deep enough, I wit.

And all sorts of *men live in the caverns, now. Including those you mention AFAIK.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:12:43 am »

If you want bottomless pits, go to 40d :P  Sorry to say it like this, but games adjust over time, and you either play the old version or get with the new.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:01 am »

If i recall the circus has bottomless pits in the form of glowing Erie things?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:15 am »

I would like to see underground rivers return and have them integrated into the caverns; when boats are implemented it might be cool to have dwarven traders appear on the river if it connects to a site (along with maybe friendly subterranean tribes as well...or unfriendly tribes trying to raid a cavern outpost).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:41:03 am »

I would like to see underground rivers return and have them integrated into the caverns; when boats are implemented it might be cool to have dwarven traders appear on the river if it connects to a site (along with maybe friendly subterranean tribes as well...or unfriendly tribes trying to raid a cavern outpost).

Underground rivers would be a wonderful feature. Boats seem a little too safe elvish. The dwarves should swim through the damned current.

On a completely different note, I say there should be pits. Perhaps not bottomless, just something that opens the first cave layer.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:56:46 am »

Deep pits connecting cavern layers can occasionally be found. If you want an all-swallowing pit without breaching the circus, you'll have to make do with SMR.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:23 am »

If you want an all-swallowing pit without breaching the circus, you'll have to make do with SMR.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why nothing like this exists. I mean a pit that goes from one of the cavern layers, if not the surface, straight to the magma sea, and not actually filled with magma like a magma pool. It would provide the easy infinite trash removal that bottomless pits are supposed to, would provide fliers a way to your fort from other cavern layers similar to how bottomless pits were dangerous underground areas in 40d, and wouldn't provide very easy access to magma like pools do.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:01 am »

Underground rivers would be a wonderful feature. Boats seem a little too safe elvish. The dwarves should swim through the damned current.

Humans swim. Dwarves pour the current full of magma, obsidianize it, smooth it and call it a road.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:07:33 am »

I want them back! Rivers, frog tribes, ratmen, bottomless pits, and the like. All of them!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:15:30 am »

Good news!  I found it for you here!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »

On a completely different note, I say there should be pits. Perhaps not bottomless, just something that opens the first cave layer.
Do you know how hard it is to swim without knees?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »

I doubt there is a great number of people who do.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: [1] 2