Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King's Field: The Ancient City ps2  (Read 1606 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
King's Field: The Ancient City ps2
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:09:22 pm »

So I recently got this for $4 used and it is in fact the best linear adventure game I've ever played.

Yes it is slow but the combat feels as slow as a normal dude would fight.

Also key point of awesome is the traps.  Wonderful stuff.  I just met two more. Dodging down a arrow shooting hall I try to hide in a wall crevice.  This is in fact a trap door :)  I end up having to fight my way out of a pit full of scorpions.   Second I enter a room and notice odd holes in the walls,  soon snakes start falling out of them like and Indiana Jones film.  It's just freaking great!

Anyone else pickup this relatively unknown gem?

(Also I'm at the Widdas temple thing after the lighthouse fire Icon area so try not to spoil me ok?)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King's Field: The Ancient City ps2
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:17:44 pm »

I distinctly remember a King's Field or Kingsfield for PS1. I remember it was scary as hell, but that was way back when.

I should probably look into finding it again...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »

I distinctly remember a King's Field or Kingsfield for PS1. I remember it was scary as hell, but that was way back when.

I should probably look into finding it again...

Honestly this game would scare the pants off anyone still in childhood.  I would note mummies bursting from walls at close range as a particular awesome moment.

I did some research and there are several earlier king's field games. (which I will check out when I finish this one)

And ATMOSPHERE this game makes the legend of Zelda dungeons seem silly by comparison.  I feel like I'm in some dwarf fortress player's ruined monstrosity.  (NOTE: game includes dwarves and magma who had accidents and managed to make themselves all frozen)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:28:55 am »

Fun fact- it's by From Software, the same people that gave us Demons' Souls later.
Not only the same people, but supposedly Demon's Souls is meant to be the spiritual successor of the King's Field series. And now Dark Souls is Demon's Souls spiritual successor... Hmm. I wonder if they'll go full circle at some point, where a new King's Field will come out and be it's own spiritual successor. I also wonder if these games are meant to take place in the same world/share lore. I vaguely recall this being mentioned somewhere, but doing some searching doesn't provide any info to support that claim.

Haven't played the series myself, but I just might take a crack at it sometime in the near future. I consider myself a bit of a From Software fan, they are certainly in my top 3 favorite developers.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:03:59 am »

Yay, I don't feel so alone anymore. I rented Kings Field 1&2 for the PSX when I was a kid and loved them both. The atmosphere and setting were fantastic, and almost too scary to play. Whenever I made a little bit of progress in either game, I'd feel really proud because of how difficult they were. I mean, by today standards, they're just cruel.

A similar psx/pc game is Sentient. It's an adventure game like King's Field, and they're about equal in the cruelty/fun department. I'm a video game masochist or something... I think that's why I love Dwarf Fortress.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:05:39 am »

King's Field II is generally recognized as the best the series offered. I never made it more than 1/2 the way into Ancient City, but I'm sitting at the end game of KFII and it took a good 20 hours to get there. That said, I went looking for AC the other day at game stores and couldn't find it, and was sad. I like KF2, but I wanted some nicer graphics.

There's just something....genuine about the series, although that's probably just my nostalgia talking. Even though the levels, the graphics aren't all that....all the temples in the game and the backstory actually resonated with me. And I loved that all your armor and weapons have that 3d view, since you'll never get to see yourself wearing it. I remember getting Capricorn in KFII and drooling over it. As someone in their mid 20s.

I also like how, in KFII anyways, the storyline is just kind of depressing. The world is fucked, most of the notable awesome people are already dead, and you're basically just trying to stop the world from slipping into total darkness.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:20:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti