Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Im having trouble with dwarf fortress(resolved)  (Read 1339 times)

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Im having trouble with dwarf fortress(resolved)
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:46 pm »

whenever I try run dwarf fortress.exe. I get the error message. "side by side configuration is incorrect" (pharaphrased) this only happens when I download off of SDL

When I download off of Legacy I can run it fine. However there are no tilesets for Legacy and I find it nearly impossible to tell whats happening onscreen without a tileset. can anyone help me? Im running windows vista
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:40:00 pm by cameron1124 »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Im having trouble with dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't .bmp tilesets work with legacy?

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »

well I dont know of any BMP tilesets that arent severely outdated. I also really want to know how to get DSL working again because it was working before.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

Sounds like your computer doesn't like openGL to me.

There's a setting in the SDL version data/init.txt file  should be something like [PRINT_MODE:VBO] (I don't know the default, that is what mine is set to)  try changing what's there to [PRINT_MODE:2D]  That might fix your problem.  There's other options you can put that are detailed in the text, but 2D is the most likely to fix it if messing with that setting would have a chance of solving your problem.

It's hardly a sure thing, but it's something to try, and the worst that will happen is it still won't work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:41 pm »

I went to the init file and it was sent to 2D. I put it the VBO and it started working XD

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Im having trouble with dwarf fortress(resolved)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

Ha, the opposite I expected.  Anyway glad it works now :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:59 am »

While we're on the topic, will 2D not print anything below that z-level, IE the "Open Space" tiles? Didn't want to make another thread.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:25:52 am »

All print modes only print one Z-level at once.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »

While we're on the topic, will 2D not print anything below that z-level, IE the "Open Space" tiles? Didn't want to make another thread.

I believe 2D mode simply uses SDL instead of OpenGL. OpenGL is a 3d graphics library, SDL is limited to 2d displays. Basically, rendering sprites with OpenGL involves drawing rectangles with the sprites as textures using an orthogonal projection.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)