Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RPGs with stat/skill growth based on use  (Read 14418 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RPGs with stat/skill growth based on use
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:47:29 pm »

Well, another game request thread. This time I'm looking for RPGs (probably likely to be jRPGs, but I'm good with any suggestions) where stats (and potentially skill, not as important) increase based on use. I guess maybe I'm looking for a non-level based system (or maybe just non-traditional level-based). I was reading a Final Fantasy 2 LP where they described the system as basically this: if you got hit a bunch your HP went up, if you attacked a lot your attack went up, etc. In FF2 your weapon and magic skills also leveled up by use, but that's less important for what I'm looking for. So, suggestions?

Edit: Oh hey, Wikipedia has a couple suggestions. They're mostly mentioned further down in this thread though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:56:52 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs with stat/skill growth based on use
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »

FF2 was funny in that ignoring the enemies and friendly firing was the best way to level your characters.

I think Elona works like that.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:17 pm »

And of course every game that has some sort of weapon skill.

Like Disgaea or Borderlands (okay, the latter isn't really a fullfledged RPG, but you get the gist)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

The first thing that comes to mind is Elder Scrolls where your skills level slowly as you use them... but you have an overall leveling system based on if your main skills were leveled up... You could also go to trainers to rank them up for a fee.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »

Bloodstone, an old DOS game. As described here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75389.msg1907616#msg1907616

You could hardly rise stats, apart from some "divine intervention" situations, mostly had to work on your skills. That included actual working, as in leaving a character in a town as an apprentice to a jeweler.

Also Darklands, another DOS oldie - I'm sure there are some threads about it here.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:04:17 pm »

The first thing that comes to mind is Elder Scrolls where your skills level slowly as you use them... but you have an overall leveling system based on if your main skills were leveled up... You could also go to trainers to rank them up for a fee.

There are also plenty of good mods to completely replace the crummy pseudo-leveling system that makes your stats depend on not using main skills.

Mentions of Skill/Stat gain by use always make me think of Ultima Online, but since the OP is after a single-player experience that game is at the very fringes of this topic's scope.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »

IVAN works like that- give it a go?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:13:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. ;)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 02:22:38 pm »

If you have a DS, the game "Contact" is like that.  Pretty much everything you do from eating to walking you can level up.

Also, at least one of the Rune Factory games for the DS is like that as well.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »

HellMOO. Quite...interesting...though. (And also very NSFW).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:57 pm »

Hmm... Contact looks interesting and I hadn't really thought about roguelikes like IVAN and Elona. I've been meaning to try them though, so this is probably a good chance. It looks like Wikipedia has a couple suggestions but they've mostly been mentioned already. For some reason the Elder Scrolls games just feel like they do this concept completely differently from the FF2 style of doing it (and I like the FF2 way better) but I'm not sure why it feels like that because it's a good suggestion. I'd forgotten that I wanted to give Mabinogi a look once it was out, so thanks for the reminder about that too. Keep the suggestions coming if you've got them, more options isn't be a bad thing!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »

Ultima Online worked/works this way as well: use a skill to gain points in it, and occasionally points in a stat associated with that skill. (Similar to how it worked in Morrowind and Oblivion, but without levels, except that skills increase by 0.01 points (or was it 0.1? I forget) out of 100.0 each, and with a cap on the maximum number of skill points, and stat points.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »

If you're looking for multiplayer games as well there's Wurm Online but... yeah... it's Wurm so...

If Ultima Online works like this, does that mean the normal Ultima games work like that as well?

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »

Well, another game request thread. This time I'm looking for RPGs (probably likely to be jRPGs, but I'm good with any suggestions) where stats (and potentially skill, not as important) increase based on use. I guess maybe I'm looking for a non-level based system (or maybe just non-traditional level-based). I was reading a Final Fantasy 2 LP where they described the system as basically this: if you got hit a bunch your HP went up, if you attacked a lot your attack went up, etc. In FF2 your weapon and magic skills also leveled up by use, but that's less important for what I'm looking for. So, suggestions?

Edit: Oh hey, Wikipedia has a couple suggestions. They're mostly mentioned further down in this thread though.

Get daggerfall, go arround the world jumping instead of running. After some (many) hours of playing you feel like earlier superman jumping from roof to roof in towns :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »

If you're looking for multiplayer games as well there's Wurm Online but... yeah... it's Wurm so...

If Ultima Online works like this, does that mean the normal Ultima games work like that as well?
I haven't played other Ultimas except for the UO, but I think they all have different leveling systems, and of course they have levels.

Which reminded me... Dungeon Siege, it's a fairly fun RPG slasher with leveled skills and stats. And there's the "Lazarus" project, which is a remake of Ultima V on its engine:
http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com/ultima5/faq.asp
Also it's free.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2