Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I just got this game - The Last Express  (Read 2224 times)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I just got this game - The Last Express
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:50:09 am »

You can buy it here
With that out of the way, let me begin.
Okay so while scouting the nearest game shop, I came across this game. The game looked intriguing. I, at first, thought that it would just be some shitty edutainment but still bought it because it was dirt cheap(99 INR). After a few minutes of google-ing I found out that it is some kind of obscure cult classic(and a good one,not a so bad its good).
I haven't actually yet installed it yet because my hard disk is full. Considering this game had no topic in this site I decided to make one.So..... discuss?

Oh and could someone tell me some kind of mods that improve the experience or something? The game looks graphically impressive but I suspect low res textures.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I just got this game - The Last Express
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:44 pm »

Backgrounds look prerendered, the characters are rotoscoped so an increase in resolution wouldn't really be mindblowing anyway.
I'm not exactly sure why you'd expect mods, especially for a game so old. An official patch wasn't even released.

However...
I checked ScummVM's compatibility list and it wasn't on there, but this google project (http://code.google.com/p/lastexpressengine/) suggests that SOME version of ScummVM should have a rather functional level of compatibility with the game, which would be a nice thing to have when playing.

Edit:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/engines/lastexpress
Yeah, the engine for last express is still under active development in the ScummVM svn. If you wanted to bother I imagine you could grab it, judging from the google code project it can be estimated they're pretty far along, but that honestly might just be more trouble than it's worth. :p
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:23:43 pm by Twerty »
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »

I had no troubles playing it on WinXP. Without addons, mods or patches.

It's actually one of my favourite (adventure) games. I wouldn't even know what to mod. It all adds up. All I can say is, just play it.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:30 pm »

Works with XP SP3 just fine without any patches too. Just gives an error every time you quit.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:26 pm »

Just to bump this up, and promote this masterpiece, if you haven't played it yet and are interested in adventure games, give it a go.

Seriously, why hasn't someone made a game like this after this one?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:02:45 pm by anzki4 »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:00 pm »

E: Ignore this
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »

Bumping this up again for a question. Does anyone know a way to continue from Vienna with the suitcase and without the egg? (I sold the egg for Kronos and now when the train reaches Vienna, I automatically get out.)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »

Bumping this up again for a question. Does anyone know a way to continue from Vienna with the suitcase and without the egg? (I sold the egg for Kronos and now when the train reaches Vienna, I automatically get out.)

Have you shown the gold to August?
You do need to show it to him in order to continue. Though if I am correct, this way you cannot know how tyler was killed.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:14:09 am »

Have you shown the gold to August?
You do need to show it to him in order to continue. Though if I am correct, this way you cannot know how tyler was killed.
Yes, I showed it to him. Still left the train with the gold... Couldn't find anything with Google neither.