Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maplestory  (Read 1367 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maplestory
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:15 pm »

Yeah, this game. Unless search lies, this is the first topic devoted to it.

Anyway, I downloaded this again a few days ago. I haven't played in years, has anyone played it recently on B12? I want to know whether this game has some quality left in it or if the game was ruined. Things seem a lot different, and while I like the huge reduction in grinding times, it seems really dumbed down and/or convoluted.

What happened to the old "Thief/Magician/Archer/Warrior" type deal? I liked that simplicity. We have mechs and battlemages and "heroes" now. Whats up with that? Whats going on? Ahhh!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Maplestory
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

My sister plays it; I haven't touched the game in years (too grindy, still, and everything they add seems to be overpowered for too long, according to her).

Worthless MMORPG, if you ask me, but she's into the anime-ish style of it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »

All I remember from it, aside from the horrible pointless grinding and the awful translation (MAYOR IS MODEST.), is that combat timing was flawed to the point of being unusable.

Maybe this has changed since then (it's been many years), but when I played it, your melee attack triggered as a "hit" if it was within range when your attack animation starts, not when the weapon actually hit. In other words, if an enemy is approaching you, you can't really attack safely because you have to hit the button while he's within sword-swing range, even though it'll take some frames of animation before your sword actually gets there... by which time the enemy has walked into you.

Personally, I didn't feel like devoting hours upon hours (it's a Korean MMORPG, which kind of demands that) when such glaring problems with basic mechanics were apparent. Oh, and the mindless grinding.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »

Basically, from what I hear from my friends who have played it in the past, it's a really long grindfest. Sure, they're taking measures to stop the grindyness of it all, but NOT ENOUGH MEASURES. All the newer classes look overpowered compared to the old ones, too, so "expect to see a sh*tload of X job around town".
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:16:37 pm »

Last winter there was a massive patch that cut the exp curve to a fifth of what it was before, maps were completely changed, skills were slightly altered, entire damage formula was changed and some new classes were added. Two of them are pay to get the skills classes and are thus bullshit(Thankfully they are boring classes), the new Mech class is overpowered to all fuck, warriors only need to invest in STR now because the accuracy formula is based on level more than accuracy(It's a flat 10% chance of missing for every level your enemy is above you over everything else), potion drops are extremely common so you never really have to buy any, monsters are no longer sorta everywhere but organized into specific areas and apparently there are more changes due in the summer I never read up on.

I never noticed any attack animation funkiness, although I never bothered with the short-ranged thief classes because they sort of need to be funded to be any fun. Warriors and magicians for me. There was some funkiness with the ranged combat, and what does and does not count as a valid firing location.

Maplestory has a lot of potential. It's a 2D platforming action RPG in a multiplayer environment. That is an amazing concept that I would play the shit out of all the time if handled well. Ignoring all the traditional Korean MMO pitfalls I think the most damning thing about the game is the soft combat abilities. You are always rooted to the ground using skills that don't feel particularly fun to use. There is a brawler class that sorta got the idea, and more classes should really have that fun factor. None of this optimal grinding skills nonsense, just give us enough points for a bunch of fun skills that do fun things to mobs other than basic debuffs and larger numbers.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »

I tried it once. Wasn't really my cup of tea. Novel concept, though, a side-scroller MMO, done fairly well at that.

Say what you will, Nexon does do some pretty decent games.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:36:35 pm »

Nexon didn't make Maplestory though. They might have added a fuckton to it, but the concept itself was done by Wizet.

I wouldn't go so far and say its something only someone in middle school or weaboos (Despite it being Korean, not Japanese) would like. It has some great parts; it does PvM based MMORPG pretty damn well, has good artwork and a nice soundtrack, but that's pretty much it.

As for new classes being overpowered, last time I checked, all classes are easy as hell now, and the basic classes are now pretty beasty. Hell if I know that's true though.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:13 pm »

has good artwork and a nice soundtrack
I think I have to agree with you there. Even if you don't like weaboo crap you have to give them credit for putting a lot of effort in making the game look nice. Then again, maybe I just really like the way sprite art looks in general. Music is also very good from what I remember.

I have played this game on two or three occasions (each time a few years after the last, and because someone wanted me to play with them) and I never got past... level 20... or 30... I forget. Just too much grind. I haven't played it recently so I have no idea what it's like.

I can only imagine what it's like playing with 10 or so bay12ers at the same time. That would be kinda insane and most likely make it hard to level up?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:19:53 pm »

Maplestory was my first MMO and my sister was addicted to it. :\ We've been playing for several years.
I used to run a private server, but my laptop can't support it anymore.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:05 am »

Ah, thats too bad. I'd be totally in for a Bay12 server. Would be a lot better then dealing with maple global.