Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: There was a cabochon rewrite?  (Read 3464 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
There was a cabochon rewrite?
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »

Raise your hand if you read this sentence the other day: "We were going to throw in cabochons this release anyway, so the forum suggestion for ostrich gastroliths seems opportune." and thought that cabochons were simply one of the sponsorship creatures, only to feel completely lost with Tarn starting taking about cutting them up in pretty shapes?

*raises hand*
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There was a cabochon rewrite?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:29 pm »

I'm not even sure what a cabochon is. This is a very confusing update. :|
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »

I googled it immediately yesterday trying to find out what kind of exotic creature it was. So I already knew it was gem related.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabochon
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »

I knew what Toady was talking about with cabochons, so I was confused in that I thought that he was thinking it was a creature.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »

I knew what Toady was talking about with cabochons, so I was confused in that I thought that he was thinking it was a creature.

It does seem to be completely unrelated to everything else he was talking about. And it seems to have to do with the market stuff, which is equally odd, because when I think about the market, my first thought isn't that we need more variety in types of cut gems. To be blunt, it never crossed my mind.

In regards to your Profile Picture- Vriska better stay dead, y' hear me?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »

It does seem to be completely unrelated to everything else he was talking about. And it seems to have to do with the market stuff, which is equally odd, because when I think about the market, my first thought isn't that we need more variety in types of cut gems. To be blunt, it never crossed my mind.

AG: Nothing too glorious a8out the way you just died, I 8et.
AG: Let me guess, even after all my lessons, you allowed yourself to get sucker sta88ed, right? Pretty lame!
AG: I mean, lucky for you it was lame. I guess 8eing lame pays off when dying a hero's what gets you killed.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »

It was. I'm also confused on what he means by "cuts", I'm pretty sure that cabochons are polished and shaped rather than faceted, but I'm not a gem expert.

EDIT: Just looked it up, gem cutting doesn't just refer to the actual cutting of the gem, but things such as shaping, polishing, and cutting itself. I'm going to assume that by "cuts" he means different ways of producing the cabochons.

OT: That avatar was actually before Vriska turned from nearly harmless (except with Aradia, but she got her revenge) and into a HUGE BITCH. I should go change that now, as I never bothered to.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:50:52 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:54 pm »

Raise your hand if you read this sentence the other day: "We were going to throw in cabochons this release anyway, so the forum suggestion for ostrich gastroliths seems opportune." and thought that cabochons were simply one of the sponsorship creatures, only to feel completely lost with Tarn starting taking about cutting them up in pretty shapes?

*raises hand*

Cabochons aren't rideable birds? *grin*
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:19 am »

Yeah, I thought a cabochon was some kind of odd animal, so I was very confused by the new update.

It makes sense now, sort of.  Though it does seem sort of like a non sequitur to most of the other things that have been happening.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:16:24 am »

When I first read it, I thought he said "chocobos" too :P

But it is not, in fact, a non sequitur! Toady was thinking about adding interesting and colorful functions to animals he's adding this release, and since ostriches are in, so go ostrich gastroliths -- and, reasonably, cabochon cuts as well. Gastroliths tend to be smoothly polished stones after grinding against each other for so long, so why not?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:38:40 am »

Yeah, I thought it was some weird animal first so I wikipedia'd it when they were first mentioned. Whoop, some kind of weird gemcutting thing. That was random.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 02:56:51 am »

Wikipedia quickly allowed me to understand what the plough he was talking about. What strikes me most with this cabochon rewrite is that there was a cabochon write and I was completely unaware of it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 06:28:36 am »

What strikes me most with this cabochon rewrite is that there was a cabochon write and I was completely unaware of it.
That would be the common gems. :p It isn't a cabochon rewrite as in "change the way cabochons work" but a cabochon rewrite as in "change the way gems work to allow for cabochons (and other gem cuts)"
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »

What strikes me most with this cabochon rewrite is that there was a cabochon write and I was completely unaware of it.
That would be the common gems. :p It isn't a cabochon rewrite as in "change the way cabochons work" but a cabochon rewrite as in "change the way gems work to allow for cabochons (and other gem cuts)"

Which is a little odd, seeing as his priorities were firmly in animals and furniture and not gem cuts. I mean, I wasn't even aware this was a thing on the list to begin with.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:45 am »

Which is a little odd, seeing as his priorities were firmly in animals and furniture and not gem cuts. I mean, I wasn't even aware this was a thing on the list to begin with.
Night creatures weren't supposed to be in this release either. Toady does more than he plans for, sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2 3