Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battle Monks Succession/Challenge game.  (Read 3122 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battle Monks Succession/Challenge game.
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:29 am »

Hello!

EDIT: the game has started, and here go the lists of turns and dwarves:
turns:
1. spring 93 - en train, nanomage.
2. UltraValican
dwarves:
Valican BronzeTome - Ultravalican
Earthenfury Roughnesscounselled - GreatWyrmGold
/EDIT

I'm thinking to start a kind of Shaolin challenge fort. Every dwarf in there is a monk who had decided to dedicate his life to achieving the perfect mastery of body, mind and spirit (and, as they are dwarves, beard.) Inhabitants of monastery should spend their time in meditation (useless idling in "Meditation Hall"), martial art practice and sometimes perform jobs necessary not to starve. Treasure hoarding is prohibited and a monk can only own as much as the bare minimum.

I think pop cap should be at 0 so that our dwarves are regarded as valuable and unique martial artists, not armless cannon fodder.
Here are, roughly, the rules:
1. All seven starting dwarves must only have unarmed combat skills.
2. All dwarves in the fort monastery must excel at martial arts, never letting their skills rust.
3. Due to oaths of poverty no items can be taken at embark, but skills and livestock is permitted. that turned out to be too hard for me, i'm afraid i must have a pick
4. Srtict vegetarianism, no butchering, no hunting, no fishing, no bying meat or fish.
5. No treasure hoarding, all production reduced to bare minimum required for survival. If you need two beds, go chop 2 trees and make beds out of them. If you need a bar of steel, chop 5 trees, mine 2 iron ore, make your steel. A small excess of food and booze should be permitted though.
6. For added lethality, fort monastery must be over-ground so that your monks can admire natural beauty and train in heavy rain.
7. No conventional weapons or armor.
To add interest and variety and because we are a monastery of warrior-monks, the concept of unique weapons should be implemented:
Per each dwarf who trains to be Legendary striker or kicker or wrestler we may "invent" a special weapon for him. And let him fight with it. Him alone.
Here are the rules of this:
1. No more than one new weapon type per dwarf.
2. No more than one new weapon type per year.
3. Weapon stats should be reasonable, and they should be generally agreed upon here in the thread before it is added.
4. Only one weapon of each type is allowed, and it must be of masterwork or artifact quality. 

For this to be possible in-game, i modded in a crapton of useless reactions and another crapton of useless weapon clones. When need arises, we'll mod another weapon entry to be what we wnat it to be.

I've just happened to come across a nice embark for this - a sinister rocky wasteland bordering another sinister rocky wasteland, representing the dualism of dwarven soul. Some trees do grow there so we're not completely screwed, and a river is available.
What say you, friends, can this be a good idea?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:45:51 pm by nanomage »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Monks Succession/Challenge game.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:41:56 am »

Sounds funny, but how do you deal with ambushes and sieges? Armorless barehanded dwarves won't stay long againist armed goblins. Even when they passed danger room training.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:56:50 am »

Sounds funny, but how do you deal with ambushes and sieges? Armorless barehanded dwarves won't stay long againist armed goblins. Even when they passed danger room training.
That's a good question. Actually, we will have no sieges with popcap of 0 until we choose to get them.
Invader pathfinding can be abused really easily to cage or atomsmash them all, provided they have no building destroyers. We should have a way to make ambushes non-fort-threatening while still allowing them to do damage.
For example, we can pick single goblins from squads and make them fight our martial artists one-on-one is some sort of mortal combat-like tournament.
As dwarf's mastery grows, he can take on multiple goblins or entire squads, something like that.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:37:14 am »

Sounds like fun, and respectably challenging. I like the idea of using cage traps to capture live opponents for further training.

I've just happened to come across a nice embark for this - a sinister rocky wasteland bordering another sinister rocky wasteland, representing the dualism of dwarven soul.

Also, sig'd.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:14 am »

Does "strict vegetarianism" mean no eggs, milk, or cheese?

Well, no milk and cheese would be more veganism.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:45 am »

To be honest, i don't quite get the difference. We should not cause death except in combat.
Milk is perfectly ok, eggs are questionable because in df you never know if they are fertilized or not. And cheese is unclear, too.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:29:09 am »

Capture invaders to use them as fighting opponent - nice idea.

Yes, what that "livestock", that allowed to be taken means then?
Also, do they have booze prohibition law? Sober fight master dwarves - that's a disaster!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:33:10 am »

Capture invaders to use them as fighting opponent - nice idea.

Yes, what that "livestock", that allowed to be taken means then?
Also, do they have booze prohibition law? Sober fight master dwarves - that's a disaster!
milk is definitely ok, and i don't think they are vegan enough to shun eating cheese, too.
No booze prohibition, they are dwarves after all. Dwarves do not drink booze to get drunk, but just to stay sane.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:59:17 am »

To be honest, i don't quite get the difference. We should not cause death except in combat.
Milk is perfectly ok, eggs are questionable because in df you never know if they are fertilized or not. And cheese is unclear, too.
I don't know exactly where the line is between vegetarian and not-vegetarian, but veganism is basically "don't use anything that came from an animal for any reason, ever".

And if milk is okay, cheese is definitely fine.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

EDIT: i'm sorry i have to modify this post but it looks like i should have made more thorough preparations.
What i thought to be mildly difficult turned out to be nightmarishly hard.
After my brave monks had to fight off two waves of attacking skeletal camels with their superior kung-fu, losing 3 war dogs in process, i discovered that all shrubs around are completely bloody undead! Sheep, too, couldn't graze upon undead grass, at least undead trees were no different from usual ones. I tried to establish a beekeeping industry to brew some booze, but noone ever went to install a colony in hives - the bees must have been undead, too, or there were no honey bees on the map. There was a murky pool, but they had no stone and thus couldn't make a well. So, everyone died from thirst. I think i should reclaim with a pick - it would allow to mine stone for walls and gather plants in caverns.

You are still welcome to claim dwarves (or next turns), but alas not these ones - they all died.

here are our dwarves: heroes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, maybe they did invent some new fighting styles when punching the camels, but they had no time and no stone and no apprentices to pass their knowledge on.
i'll modify the OP to note that i allowed myself to embark with a pick
/EDIT

Our embark is 3*3. We have a saltwater sinister rocky wasteland bordering a freshwater sinister rocky wasteland. One of them has scarse trees and vegetation, the other has none.
Both have very deep soil, aquifer, shallow metal, deep metal and flux. Every race neighbours us, goblins too, but they are the furthest away. here it is:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:46:25 am by nanomage »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 11:06:11 am »

Is it okay if I take a monk and not a turn...or if someone could tell mehow to transfer saves I would take a turn..but If I could take a monk...I would like to have Lobram please.
-edit
Valican would just be fine for my dwarf's name, his style is fist of the Beard Hair!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:03:32 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 04:10:55 pm »

I'll take Onul Zulbanunal. He calls his fighting style "Badger Claws" and allows himself the use of a knife...if the sensai lent him one, at least.
If we get to name him, his first name if s Earthenfury.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

Pick did definitely prove useful, so here goes the first report of Bardumog, Fightclub.
Our monks have been recording everything happening to their humble outpost in a huge book, like, you know, all monks like to do.
The History of Bardumog, spring 93
It's first Hematite now, and the spring was much more like a race against thirst and hunger than "early development". We still have no industries established, but at least we have a well and some cheese being produced - until our sheep die from hunger, that is. I'm planning to dig an underground pasture for them and breach a cavern for moss to grow there. Monks could venture into caverns, too, to collect some plants and establish a farm.

i don't have much to screenshot because we have even no dining hall right now.
2GreatWyrmGold & UltraValican
I selected two dwarfs for you, unfortunately the initial 7 from the first post all died, so i picked another two from this embark:
Earthenfury Roughnesscounselled, Proficient Striker & Dodger and inventor of "Badger Claws":
Valican Bronzetome, Proficient Wrestler & Dodger, founder of fist of beard hair.
Looks like our brotherhood is more of a sorority because 5 other dwarves are all female, and as story goes one of them is about to invent a style somehow related to water and death, don't ask me why.
I'll proceed with updates when i've finished another season or two.
EDIT: 2UltraValican. I'm planning to hand over the save after i've played through the first year, or earlier if something hillarous happens. I think most successions here are played like this. I'll upload it to dffd.wimbli.com, just as everyone here seems to do, and you'll be able to download it from there.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:46:59 pm by nanomage »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »

Ok, where do I put the save brother nanomage?..also thanks fot the dwarf :D
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:30:50 pm »

Ok, where do I put the save brother nanomage?..also thanks fot the dwarf :D
i guess when your turn is over you should put the save to dffd too, for the next player.
Summer's report.

Also, monks will soon return to their combat practice - bags to mark training ground are on the way. Among the migrants there is a High Master Weaponsmith - he'll be useful when we'll be making that knife for Earthenfury.
Here's the screenshot of ground level, with 1/4-built wall and fortified entrance. There's a retracting bridge where the dog stands, and i'm afraid we'll need it soon - there are skeletal camels on the way to fort.

The horse meat still lies forbidden in the food stockpile and i pretend my dwarves are too disgusted to dump it.
Pages: [1] 2