Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Hidden Fun Stuff? (Possible spoilers)  (Read 1203 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Modding Hidden Fun Stuff? (Possible spoilers)
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:57:55 am »

Hidden Fun Stuff is kinda boring, with vomit fiends and ash phantoms mostly occupying the underworld. Sometimes, a gigantic pterosaur with a knobby shell appears, and is quite formidable, but you're never too sure if that creature is butcherable or not.

What I'm trying to say is that: Have you ever thought of modding HFS? I have thought about it a couple of times, since HFS is either too easy or too hard, or it escalates difficulty at a very slow rate. (at least, for me.)

It'd be nice if people added some ideas for monstrous clowns that could be found in the underworld.

With that being said, the HFS follows one of my favorite general rules of roguelikes: randomness.

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Hidden Fun Stuff? (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:13 am »

You can place creatures in the underworld - the underground depth for that is 5, and you should use a frequency of 100 to have some chance of seeing them. However, you currently can't place demons that spawn when you breach hell with the others, nor can you place unique demons that have a chance to escape hell and then rule over goblins or humans. The tags for those behaviors are only recognized in the procedural demons.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:36:10 am »

To put it simply, demons are non-raw. Unless you use decompressed saves, you cannot see the raws for them, as they are hardcode. Like kittens.
They used to be raw-based, but had only certain varieties, Tentacle demon, Spirit of Flame, etc.

We would mod if we could, but we cannot. It's fun being mauled by acid-spewing chocolate ticks anyway.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:27:27 pm »

I did actualy get a custom demon creature in hell once, in the .31 versions that is.

Annoying thing is I cant remember how I did it and havnt been able to reproduce it since.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:28:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure I remember there being a specific version wherein DEMON was parsed as a raw tag, and in the next version it got taken out. I might've just got something wrong then...

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »

So, decompressed save => change demon raws to suit your needs?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »

Well.... kinda. They allow you to see the raws of specific demons/FBs, not the species as a whole.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »

Well.... kinda. They allow you to see the raws of specific demons/FBs, not the species as a whole.
The demon species are actually species. FBs and Titans are technically species as well, but only a single individual of each of them exists. However, for demons you do get multiple copies of single creatures, so modding them can help.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:56 am »

nor can you place unique demons that have a chance to escape hell and then rule over goblins or humans. The tags for those behaviors are only recognized in the procedural demons.

[UNIQUE_DEMON] will spam the error log as an unrecognized token but World Gen knows exactly what is what. My Earworms and Heralds of the End Times are properly taking over things left and right... and in the case of the Earworms their tunes are spilled by the first (semi)megabeast to even glance at them.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »

nor can you place unique demons that have a chance to escape hell and then rule over goblins or humans. The tags for those behaviors are only recognized in the procedural demons.

[UNIQUE_DEMON] will spam the error log as an unrecognized token but World Gen knows exactly what is what. My Earworms and Heralds of the End Times are properly taking over things left and right... and in the case of the Earworms their tunes are spilled by the first (semi)megabeast to even glance at them.

Taking things over is a function of the POWER tag, though. UNIQUE_DEMON presumably would place them in and enable them to escape the underworld. Are they doing that?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu