Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Move over Fox News...  (Read 4624 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Move over Fox News...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:45:47 am »

"It was $1.2 million dollars over the last 13 years."

IS THAT IT?! IS THAT ALL?!

Am I the only one that went, "lol, that's a pathetic amount of money, why are you bitching?"

The community health organization my mother works for makes about that much in profit a year, and it is a non-profit organization*.

Yeah, that's a pathetically small amount.

*before you call hypocrisy they invest it in providing better healthcare.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »

I think this might be the first time I have ever been on a .ca site. Smells like maple syrup...

EDIT: I'm sort of let down, they don't sound Canadian enough, eh.

Fixed (by a Canadian).
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to see some countries with more active regulatory governments than the US's, start to ban outlets like Fox News from calling their sensationalist circus-crap "news." Surprised, nor sorry.

When Sun News was announced, there was a huge protest against it, with people like Margaret Atwood screaming for it to not be allowed to air.

Canada has never been big on censoring things, though. Our major regulation is in the form of Canadian-based channels having to show a majority of Canadian television. We're actually smarter about it than at first glance - we have a number of specialty channels which were designed specifically to prevent importation of American channels. The easiest example is Canada's Space vs. the US's Sci-Fi/Syfy. I'm not sure what happened to Syfy, but it would appear that Space has won out.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 03:13:11 pm »

I never understood the backlash... What's the big deal, some people want this, and if you don't then just don't bloody watch it!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »

For some reason, they actually thought it would turn Canada into a right wing country by fuelling a propaganda blah blah blah

I've never liked Margaret Atwood politically, because she is frankly insane. This time, she revealed that free speech is only okay if she agrees with it. As if we get to pick or choose what can and can't be said. Intellectual indeed.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 04:10:51 pm »

I never understood the backlash... What's the big deal, some people want this, and if you don't then just don't bloody watch it!
Of course. Of course there's also the fact that it is harmful in that it allows stupid people's votes to be easily manipulated by spending huge amounts of money, but I was more just fantasizing about outlets like Fox not being allowed to call what they produce "news" in the same way that food companies can't call something "fat free" when it is in fact loaded with fat. Or whatever.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »

For some reason, they actually thought it would turn Canada into a right wing country by fuelling a propaganda blah blah blah

Conservative Majority bro. Can't argue with results.

But yeah, in terms of public funding grants for institutions, 100K/Year is a pretty tiny sum. The part that offends me isn't that the interviewer takes offense to using tax dollars in this way. It's that she frames the complaint as "WHY ARE YOU STEALING MAH TAXES" rather than, say, "Why is the Canada Arts Council giving you this money" which would be a more appropriate question to ask someone in the Canada Arts Council. She is receiving money that, if not given to her, would just be given to some other wacky artist. That's why the grants exist. I fail to see how she can channel that into such seething vitriol for the artist individually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »

Always nice to be reminded that one thing which crosses all national, geographic, cultural, racial, sexual and societal boundaries is mindless hatred and aggression. I guess it feels good to think "Hey, it isn't just people here that are completely screwed up, other people in other places are too!".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 02:42:15 am »

Sun actually IS Fox News, rebranded for Canada. It's owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 04:51:36 am »

Sun actually IS Fox News, rebranded for Canada. It's owned by Rupert Murdoch.

No it isn't.

Where did you even get that information?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 05:03:23 am »

Ok, I have a new game I'm playing: how much can I get out of this condensation without reading the OP.

Read: some crazy Canadian news lady tricked a dancer to come onto her show by being nice to her initially, and then attacked her for using up too much tax dollars.

Am I right?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:20 am »

I generally avoid threads like these since i feel i don't contribute too much to these kinds of discussions but this, oh god this bitch invokes so much rage in me i don't think it's healthy.I mean, how the fuck these people get jobs in these places when they can be so FUCKING DUMB.

Ok, i need to stop listening to this, but i can't, it's like a trainwreck, it's horrible, very very horrible, but i keep listening since i keep hoping to hear a U JELLY!?!?! at the end, but i have a feeling there won't be one :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 06:13:13 am »

Won't somebody think of the children?!!?

Umm...anybody?

Wait, this is Canada...

Won't somebody think of the moose?!!?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:00 am »

Won't somebody think of the children?!!?

Umm...anybody?

Wait, this is Canada...

Won't somebody think of the moose?!!?
Won't someone think about anything other than how best to degrade and insult others? Nah, probably not.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:56:45 pm »

The interviewer must be REALLY poor if all she can afford is that hospital robe she's wearing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5