Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wha...Why are my golems wimps?  (Read 2036 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Wha...Why are my golems wimps?
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:10:10 pm »

I modded in a clay golem race and used them to replace dwarves. One in five are made of fire clay and have [FIREBREATH]. They also grow up in a couple years to mature and give birth to 1-3 children at a time (2-5 for fire clay golem women). To balance them out, I made them only size 50000 at age 3, when they stop growing. However, in the most recent war, against the elves, the first battle went like this:

A: 502, mostly elves, 365 losses
D: 1688 clay golems, 89 kobolds, 64 humans, all lost.

The last was:

A: 274 elves, 140 losses
D: 24 clay golems, 6 humans, all lost

What is wrong? Does worldgen not care what you're made of, only your size?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:17:07 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Wha...Why are my golems wimps?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:55:22 pm »

1. World gen battles are 1v1 so 1 dwarf could potentially kill 1 billion elves, humans, goblins, kobolds, etc in a single battle no problem.

2. Do your golems use weapons? cause if not I am fairly certain clay vs metal or even wood is a losing situation since clay is not a weapons grade material. If you want them to be tougher but not too tough make then made of copper instead, or give them the ability to use armor and weapons (though that might be wierd for golems). Personally I'd just make then out of bronze if you weren't going to give them weapons as that is the equivalent of a fully clad dwarf with a hammer.

edit: Size itself doesn't matter overly much. For my krynn mod gnomes who are small size stand up alright against the bigger races.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:57:19 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:18 pm »

1. World gen battles are 1v1 so 1 dwarf could potentially kill 1 billion elves, humans, goblins, kobolds, etc in a single battle no problem.

2. Do your golems use weapons? cause if not I am fairly certain clay vs metal or even wood is a losing situation since clay is not a weapons grade material. If you want them to be tougher but not too tough make then made of copper instead, or give them the ability to use armor and weapons (though that might be wierd for golems). Personally I'd just make then out of bronze if you weren't going to give them weapons as that is the equivalent of a fully clad dwarf with a hammer.

edit: Size itself doesn't matter overly much. For my krynn mod gnomes who are small size stand up alright against the bigger races.
They should use all dwarven arms and armor. In fact, the only change is replacing dwarves with clay golems.
Should I post the critter's raws?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:12:10 pm »

They should use all dwarven arms and armor. In fact, the only change is replacing dwarves with clay golems.
Should I post the critter's raws?
Do they golems have [equips]? If not, they won't actually use the arms and armor.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »

First, ya the equips tag might be it. If thats not there they won't use anything and will run around naked.

Second, I just noticed something I missed in the first reading. That last battle was 24 clay golems and 6 humans lost with elves losing 140? That isn't too shabby. Sure the first battle was an overwhelming defeat with a 4 golems to 1 elf lost ratio but the second battle was fairly decent in terms of units lost (rounded for ease 25 golems to 150 elves is 1 golem lost to 6 elves which is a better ratio for the golems than the elves in the first battle). Even if you acount for the humans and round to 150 thats 30 to 150 or 1 to 5.

Edit: Also did you look at the battles to see who was killing the elves? were the humanoids accounting for all the kills and the golems simply get slaughtered or are the golems actually holding their own?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:24:30 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »

First, ya the equips tag might be it. If thats not there they won't use anything and will run around naked.

Second, I just noticed something I missed in the first reading. That last battle was 24 clay golems and 6 humans lost with elves losing 140? That isn't too shabby. Sure the first battle was an overwhelming defeat with a 4 golems to 1 elf lost ratio but the second battle was fairly decent in terms of units lost (rounded for ease 25 golems to 150 elves is 1 golem lost to 6 elves which is a better ratio for the golems than the elves in the first battle). Even if you acount for the humans and round to 150 thats 30 to 150 or 1 to 5.

Edit: Also did you look at the battles to see who was killing the elves? were the humanoids accounting for all the kills and the golems simply get slaughtered or are the golems actually holding their own?
Hm...Not actually sure who was killing...and yeah, I think [EQUIPS] is the problem. Thanks!

...Geez, I thought they'd be nigh unkillable!
Sig

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:05:35 am »

Just a note, skills play a very big factor in beating the heck out of the worldgen opposition. You might want to add a [NATURAL_SKILL] tag in the golem raws just to give it a boost. (It might be too cheaty though...)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:38 am »

Worldgen leans heavily toward size. My Lich megabeasts were getting slaughtered by peasants in worldgen despite being pretty much unkillable. Try beefing up the size, and if necessary, lower the golems' strength/agility/etc to make them a little less overpowered during actual play.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:17:34 am »

World Gen battles are highly inaccurate. In one of my favorite ones, ~1200 elves and beasts attacked a mountainhome full of ~300 dwarves. 400 Elves survived, and one dwarf survived. The elves lost.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:56:49 am »

World Gen battles are highly inaccurate. In one of my favorite ones, ~1200 elves and beasts attacked a mountainhome full of ~300 dwarves. 400 Elves survived, and one dwarf survived. The elves lost.
I've had better. 400 elves attack, 2 dwarves defend. 2 dwarves survived and killed 75% of elven forces, but lost.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »

I've had better. 400 elves attack, 2 dwarves defend. 2 dwarves survived and killed 75% of elven forces, but lost.
Traps killed the elves, then they got into the fort where the dwarves were randomly picking up and dropping pieces of armor.
Sig

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »

sometimes i really think thats what happens in world gen once i had one gnome against 1000 goblins 900 dead goblins the gnome lost... i found him in ledgends and he had SEVEN KILLS i check this over ten times check every one with a simalir name but the gobs just disappered.
im sad :'(
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:58 am »

Maybe that one dwarf was Tholtig...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:38 am »

Maybe that one dwarf was Tholtig...

Or Gotrek
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Griallia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 06:16:26 am »

Maybe it was a full scale retreat.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:38:28 am by Griallia »
Pages: [1] 2