Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adobe Fortress?  (Read 2634 times)

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Adobe Fortress?
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:20:31 pm »

So with clay now being a buildable material I was going to start an above-ground fortress styled after the Adobe cultures in the western p[art of North America. If you don't know what I mean just Google image search "adobe village". I'm planning on basing my fortress on clay, making clay jugs and such instead of out of wood.

My question is: What sort of starting build should I use for this? Skills, starting equipment? Starting location is probably going to be in a savanna with trees and a stream. Help appreciated!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »

Build it like the current human cities house then a farm out back with no defense what so ever
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:47:07 pm »

Well, starting build isn't that important. I'd go with above-ground crop if you can get them, lots of food and fireproof material. And an axe for beds.

As for skills, no miner or masons of course. A doc, an administrator, a farmer, a cook/brewer and three potters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

rezon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:09:55 pm »

I actually begun a project doing exactly this, just started with normal administrators. Then build a single house for all my dwarves of clay, and slowly expanded the village, making sure workers had bedrooms in the houses they worked. It fucked up when I began excavating for a castle with water around :-P
Good thing about clay is that you have an endless supply from one single tile. Just remember that it's a hauling task gathering it, so pretty low priority. Thus better have a bunch of dedicated hauler dwarves.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

I built an all-above ground clay fortress in a savanna with a stream (totally different style, from what it sounds like you're doing, though--yours sounds like an awesome idea). If you're not gonna mine at all, I highly recommend bringing a carpenter, and of course a potter.  Otherwise, though, I'd focus on military skills; I, at least, really didn't end up needing a lot of skilled civilians.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:30:44 am »

I'm going to try to make a clay brick fortress. Hopefully I'll find a plain with a volcano so I can make both bricks and try to make a Dwarven Glass Cannon.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 02:08:12 am »

Clay is considered stone, masons are required.  Aside from that, a lot of spears and wooden shields, perhaps mod in bone spears/shields and cloth bricks (canvas sheets for roofs and some walls).  Clay may also be underground, so bring a pick to dig out the clay pit.  Encourage small plots of farmland and many grazing animals.  Make the emergency alert burrow encompass the interior of every building, so that when you call an alert they run to the nearest hut.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:12:04 am »

Am I the only one who thought this was a fortress created using Adobe reader?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:13:02 am »

Am I the only one who thought this was a fortress created using Adobe reader?
Not quite, but I also thought about the company.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:22:05 am »

Clay is considered stone, masons are required.  Aside from that, a lot of spears and wooden shields, perhaps mod in bone spears/shields and cloth bricks (canvas sheets for roofs and some walls).  Clay may also be underground, so bring a pick to dig out the clay pit.  Encourage small plots of farmland and many grazing animals.  Make the emergency alert burrow encompass the interior of every building, so that when you call an alert they run to the nearest hut.
The "clay is stone" thing has actually been fixed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:41:56 am »

Then clay as bricks still requires masonry.  It's certainly not lumber or metal...

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 03:09:36 am »

Pottery?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:30:27 am »

Then clay as bricks still requires masonry.  It's certainly not lumber or metal...
Yeah, building walls requires the masonry skill, but it doesn't grant experience and doesn't make that big a difference in speed (not positive it makes any difference).  I usually take a mason but didn't this time I definitely haven't missed it..