Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854587 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2160 on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:06 pm »

It's godawful, but the article's anti-science tone makes me suspicious. The atrocity here isn't genetically modified plants (which have the potential to hugely help poor farmers in third world countries) but exploitative business practices and trying to make money off said farmers while using them as lab rats for the crops.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:14:12 pm by Africa »
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: July 24, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »

Yeah. I'll grant for the sake of argument everything the article says as truth, but this tells me that unscrupulous businesses are jackasses more than anything about genetically modified foods as a concept. And not only is this a horrifying event, I feel like it's going to be used as ammunition against something that stands a chance of measurably improving the world if implemented by somebody other than assholes whose view of "good" doesn't extend beyond the end of the year's profits. Meanwhile the assholes in question will be relatively unscathed, since all the attention is going to be focused on "WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:47 pm »

Oh, no, I'm not saying anything about GM foods.  I have mixed feelings about them, one way or another.

It's mostly the 125,000 people committing suicide part.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 24, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »

Oh, no, I'm not saying anything about GM foods.  I have mixed feelings about them, one way or another.

It's mostly the 125,000 people committing suicide part.
Obviously, GM should stick to making cars.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: July 24, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

It's also the daily mail. Is there a more reputable source for the article?
It looks like a plain and simple hit piece to me.

An even harder question: Is there a less reputable source for the article?

Regarding genetically-modified crops, the (or at least one) problem is that, being inevitably devised, manufactured, and controlled by large corporations, they'll exist to serve the financial goals of those corporations and nothing else; if they happen to help poor people in other countries, it'll only be with that as the end goal, and I don't like the idea of people in poverty in other countries being even more beholden to and dependent on foreign corporate powers. This isn't to say that gene patents are wrong, or that genetic modification of crops is wrong, just that they have to be handled with care and that international socioeconomic problems will make it difficult for them to genuinely help anyone, at least in the short term.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:28:34 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 24, 2011, 01:29:48 pm »

Golden rice, though?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »

So Shankara became one of an estimated 125,000 farmers to take their own life
I'm just amazed how the Daily Mail can pull numbers out of their asses so unashamedly.  No source.  No justification.  Just an "estimate".

By the way, the Daily Mail have a huge, irrational hatred of GM.  I'd trust www.gmfoodismadebyhitlertokillbabies.com for unbiased information on it before the Daily Mail.  So... I guess it could be true, but I'll need a source that isn't notorious for making things up and twisting the few true things in their articles to suit their own agenda (quite a few of the stories in that article sounded like GM was only a factor, or may have just been coincidental).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:26 pm »

It's also the daily mail. Is there a more reputable source for the article?
It looks like a plain and simple hit piece to me.

An even harder question: Is there a less reputable source for the article?
Actually, yes there are less reputable sources. Conspiracy theory echo chambers! Here are two:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread705518/pg1
http://www.naturalnews.com/032422_GM_crops_suicide.html

But yeah, I'm going to have to call BS on the story unless there is actually a reputable source for it, both because of the extreme anti-science slant of the article and because any in-article sourcing is lacking.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »

Reminder to self: start checking sources more =/

This is the second time this has happened.  Need to work on my skepticism.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 24, 2011, 01:44:16 pm »

I'd recommend just putting a warning against the Daily Mail in the OP.  It seems to be one of the biggest sources of misinformation on the internet.

Incidentally, I found this PDF linked by one of the conspiracy sites which looks kindof reliable
http://www.chrgj.org/publications/docs/every30min.pdf
And it does highlight how terrible conditions are for Indian farmers and how much they're being exploited...  however, it doesn't put all the blame on GM like the Daily Mail does.  Certainly it's one of the ways in which they're being abused by multinationals, but it explores a range of factors and gives lots of different recommendations (not just BAN FRANKENSTEIN FOODS NOW as the DM would seem to be suggesting).

What I can't find in this article is any justification of the Daily Mail's 125,000 figure.  What I did find is:
It is estimated that more than a quarter of a million Indian farmers have committed suicide in the last 16 years
As far as I can tell, they must have just arbitrarily assumed that half of those suicides were caused by GM crops.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 24, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/1500-farmers-commit-mass-suicide-in-india-1669018.html
http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2007/05/14/why-indians-commit-suicide/

Maybe not because of GM crop alone but there sure is a lot of suicide in India. And the combination of more expensive seed and microloan seems to do the tricks. Especially since, on the report I've read, GM crop is no more efficient than traditional crop.

But I didn't know for the Daily mail, thank for the info.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 24, 2011, 01:51:15 pm »

OP modified.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 24, 2011, 01:58:14 pm »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/1500-farmers-commit-mass-suicide-in-india-1669018.html
http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2007/05/14/why-indians-commit-suicide/

Maybe not because of GM crop alone but there sure is a lot of suicide in India. And the combination of more expensive seed and microloan seems to do the tricks. Especially since, on the report I've read, GM crop is no more efficient than traditional crop.

But I didn't know for the Daily mail, thank for the info.
Based on those links, GM actually has little if anything to do with it. It's loan practices combined with drought and a shift away from subsistence farming to farming as a business model. Poor farmers shift to crops and practices with higher costs but with a higher potential revenue, droughts and an inability to pay for irrigation lead to crop failure, and then are left with loans and no way to repay them. The water shortages, especially in the first link, are the major cause of failure, followed by unsustainable loan practices.

Even removing GM from the equation, the situation remains exactly the same. They would switch to non-native cash crops, the seeds for which would still need to be bought from foreign sellers, probably pay out even more for pesticides, offsetting any difference in cost for the seeds, the droughts would still have destroyed the crops, and they still would have been unable to repay loans.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:02:13 pm by alway »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:33 pm »

Damn, there go my mad scientist plans.

Ah well, there's still the sentient dairy milk route!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 24, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »

In terms of the technology the only concern I have over GM crops is potential for damage through cross pollination.

OP modified.
I like this thread even more now there are rules against the "Daily Fail".
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 852