Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Closed due to temporary insanity.  (Read 700 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Closed due to temporary insanity.
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

So currently a race/civ is only playable if it is allowed so in the game. While that is fine right now we are quickly starting to get other races capable of starting their own civilisations.

To me unless a race or civ is specifically barred from being playable they should all be fair game. (actually to me, no one REALLY should be barred... but still)

In the world parameters you should be able to determine the requirements a race/civ must hit in order to be a playable one. By default however any race that manages to gain an advanced civilisation of at least elven level should enter the pool of available candidates. As well the Race must at least be fully intelligent and be within a certain threshhold of the total population to at least get a whole percent.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:22:47 pm by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Races become playable if they hit a requirement
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »

Or just make it so you can play any race that exists enough to have a population.  Why add layers of gamey abstraction to it?

This is also pretty much implied to be planned, but currently only dwarves are playable in 'fort' mode because it's how the game was originally built.  Once things lurch more in the direction of procedural civs-doing-things, this should come about easy enough.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »

Because of the Kobolds.

I'd rather just have everything playable unless otherwise barred.

However Kobolds strongly indicate that it likely isn't that way.

Also I meant... in Adventure mode not Fortress mode.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:49:50 pm by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:56:39 pm »

And currently you can play all of the main races that have (or at one point) had town structures in adventure mode.  And it's been stated dozens of times by Toady in DF Talks and Logs and on the forums that you'll be able to take the helm of a kobold or a megabeats or a night creature or whatever in adventure mode, when that stuff rolls around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:34 pm »

And currently you can play all of the main races that have (or at one point) had town structures in adventure mode.  And it's been stated dozens of times by Toady in DF Talks and Logs and on the forums that you'll be able to take the helm of a kobold or a megabeats or a night creature or whatever in adventure mode, when that stuff rolls around.

That is Version 2 content though to play Megabeasts. (though I don't quite remember him ever saying Kobolds... and in fact... Nightcreature is earned as well and are currently not dirrectly playable). As well it is nebulous.

Then he also announced that he is thinking of allowing you to Hijack actual character. Yet that isn't the same thing as well.

Besides comming up with mechanics in which a race becomes playable in adventure mode not because of a lable but because of their actual achievements in the game, is the point of the thread.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:10:56 pm by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

And there's no point because it's been strongly hinted by the sandbox nature Toady is striving for, that so long as it exists in the world it'll be playable, for the most part.  Again, why create artificial barriers to content?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:35:46 pm »

And there's no point because it's been strongly hinted by the sandbox nature Toady is striving for

Then there is more of a point isn't there?

Anyhow population size is a good one and probably better then percent of population. Probably a pop of 1000 minimum.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:38:17 pm by Neonivek »