Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Law That Indicates Popular "Mood"  (Read 5686 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Law That Indicates Popular "Mood"
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:19:20 pm »

Right now, "Election Reform" is currently affected by the general "mood" of the country: if it is conservative, ER is conservative, and if the mood is liberal, ER is liberal. Eventually, ER will change to be affected by a specific issue, meaning we'll lose ER as a measure of how popular/unpopular Liberalism is.

But I like the idea of a Law reflecting the general "mood" of the United States, because it provides important information about the state of the United States. A new Law, of course, should not be impacted by the Supreme Court, of course, but instead get impacted by Congress and the Referendums. It should also not have any real repercussions on the game, but just be for flavor purposes.

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for such a law. All I got is "Liberal Party Membership" (because it would make sense that the more people are liberal, the more people are in the Liberal Party), "Media Bias/Neutrality" (a L+ law would take steps to stop the right-wing bias of AM Radio/Cable News without correcting FM Radio/Network News bias), "Public Funding for Network News", and "Budget" (seems to be something of a cleavage based issue). I like to have good ideas first before I try to put this new law into the LCS game.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
Re: New Law That Indicates Popular "Mood"
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

I think "Education" would work because conservatives are all a bunch of dumbshits and learning just a little of Geography and History is enough to wash conservatism away.  :P
-
C+ - Analphabetism runs rampant throughout the country
C - Most people are almost able to sign their names
M - Creationism is taught dogmatically inside public schools
L - The national average QI is >200
L+ - Anyone in USA is smarter than Einstein, Freud, Nietzsche, Foucault, Heisenberg, Camus and Durkheim all put together.
-
-
-
-
PS: Of course that I'm not being serious about it and there can be such thing as a liberal idiot and a smart conservative (I had to add that line or those brainless conservative would not understand that I'm just kidding :P)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

A law seems unresponsive to be a mood indicator. Perhaps an entry that comes up on the poll screen instead?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:25 am »

I think "Education" would work because conservatives are all a bunch of dumbshits and learning just a little of Geography and History is enough to wash conservatism away.  :P
That's too realistic.  :P
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:46 am »

What about Constitution? I'm in a hurry so I can't write fancy tales about it, but C+ law would consider the Constitution obsolete and planning to repeal it (foreshadowing the Reaganification) and L+ would perhaps be in progress of updating it to include all UN human rights charters and the Geneva convention etc.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:57 am »

A law seems unresponsive to be a mood indicator. Perhaps an entry that comes up on the poll screen instead?

I was just about to say this myself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:51:57 am »

^ That's true as well.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:54 am »

What about Constitution? I'm in a hurry so I can't write fancy tales about it, but C+ law would consider the Constitution obsolete and planning to repeal it (foreshadowing the Reaganification) and L+ would perhaps be in progress of updating it to include all UN human rights charters and the Geneva convention etc.

From what I have seen, conservative types can be fairly dogmatic about the Constitution.  Noted insane asylum escapee Glenn Beck strongly believe in Constitutionalism, which to my understanding states that the Constitution is never wrong ever and should be followed blindly and without thought.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:15 am »

Uh, the reason it appeals to me is that it seems to indicate mood without needing to check the polls. If you have high skills in Computers, a single poll would grant you enough knowledge to make an accurate judgement of the mood of the country.

EDIT: Though I realize that a poll question would be the most plausible way to track mood: "X% are card-carrying members of the Liberal Party".
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:40:53 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:01:07 pm »

From what I have seen, conservative types can be fairly dogmatic about the Constitution.  Noted insane asylum escapee Glenn Beck strongly believe in Constitutionalism, which to my understanding states that the Constitution is never wrong ever and should be followed blindly and without thought.

But the Reagan Amendment (=the policital way to lose the game) is repealing the Constitution.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:05:47 pm »

EDIT: Though I realize that a poll question would be the most plausible way to track mood: "X% are card-carrying members of the Liberal Party".

Minor quibble: Does the game ever actually use the phrase "Liberal Party"? Either way, I suggest that it not. It would make the game feel like it doesn't even take place in the US, and I like the idea that politics in the game is so partisan that you don't even need to mention the parties' names in order to say whatever you're saying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:48 pm »

I think you should be able to check the polls without an activity. It should be part of the Liberal Agenda screen or otherwise easily accessible. Polls can be refreshed every week or two weeks, and timestamped, so that the age of the data is shown on the screen. ("Polling data is refreshed every two weeks. This information is 8 days old.")

Minor quibble: Does the game ever actually use the phrase "Liberal Party"? Either way, I suggest that it not. It would make the game feel like it doesn't even take place in the US, and I like the idea that politics in the game is so partisan that you don't even need to mention the parties' names in order to say whatever you're saying.

It's used in one place, after Senate/House elections, to announce who declares victory. The parties mentioned are the Liberal/Conservative Parties, the $$$ USA Flag Eagle $$$ Party, and the Social Elite Progressive Liberal Party (or something along those lines).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »

I think you should be able to check the polls without an activity. It should be part of the Liberal Agenda screen or otherwise easily accessible. Polls can be refreshed every week or two weeks, and timestamped, so that the age of the data is shown on the screen. ("Polling data is refreshed every two weeks. This information is 8 days old.")

Not bad idea at all.

And I like the Liberal and Conservative party names. It makes it clear that they're not just individual politicians up there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »

And I like the Liberal and Conservative party names. It makes it clear that they're not just individual politicians up there.

To be fair, you don't need party names, per se, to show that they're part of a group. You have Liberals, Conservatives, Elite Liberals, and Arch-Conservatives; those are good classifications without explicitly mentioning the party names involved.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »

Minor quibble: Does the game ever actually use the phrase "Liberal Party"?

Australian conservatives do...

Yeah, I'm as confused as you are.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2