Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging and Caverns  (Read 1169 times)

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging and Caverns
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »

So I'm about 40 Z levels down, and I still haven't encountered a cavern. Is this normal? (I did simple world gen, and I've never edited my raws)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging and Caverns
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »

How big is your staircase? If it's only a one tile stairway then you probably just went right through it without actually breaching it.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »

How big is your staircase? If it's only a one tile stairway then you probably just went right through it without actually breaching it.

It's 4 tiles wide, and every 10 z levels, I have exploratory tunnels. :|

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »

Given that caverns usually aren't 10 z-levels tall, you might simply be missing them...

Regardless, depending on how steep your map is and where it is on your world, having 40 z-levels before the first cavern is unlikely, but not impossible.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »

I've managed to miss cavern 2 and all of the magma sea with a 3X3 stairwell. Check where the layer stone changes, and if it changes types, those are likely near the cavern boundaries.  If all else fails, aim for magma and work your way back up.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »

In my last game, I missed two caverns and hit smr with a 3x3 as well. This was even the smallest embark size!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:11 am »

I had a game where i missed the 1st two cavern layers and dug right on down into the 3rd layer. Scared me, i thought a bug was causing no cave mold to grow. Once you hit one cavern you can explore with a military squad and find the upward/downward passages.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:01:42 am »

First cavern is usually before 15th level. I tend to get them at Z-level -10.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:03:18 am »

It's pretty likely to miss the caverns if you've managed a site with really low openness, so your caverns are a maze of twisty, 1-tile-wide passages.  If all else fails, use dfreveal to get a bead on your caverns, then move your staircase as necessary.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:19:09 pm »

I'm not sure exactly how Openness and Passage Density are set in simple world gen, but the range is probably random 0 to 100 per embark region or something. So if you managed to get extreme randomly generated values for the site you picked then you could end up with weird caverns of some sort. (See the cavern maps on the advanced world gen wiki page for examples of what caverns can look like.)

Also, just dig a tunnel out to some area maybe 30 or 40 tiles diagonal from your stair shaft and start digging down in a different place. That will probably locate something.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:07:09 pm »

40 levels below the lowest surface ground on the map is unusual, but i've had a few maps where it's 30-50 levels below my entrance. Even just a steep drop in one corner seems enough to push the caverns down.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.