Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cavecroc-a-splosion  (Read 4979 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Cavecroc-a-splosion
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 04:37:04 am »

unforchunatly couldnt get a picture of cave croc young killing stuff. my dwarfs did the march out to suicide routine so i had to send the millatery out. thankfully dark stranglers are very very weak.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 08:07:25 am »

You will have to wait for cave crocodiles to grow a few years for them to be dangerous, and for them to give food when butchered.

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:70]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:300000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:600000]

This means they are roughly 70 grams when born (otherly said, not a threat for the vast majority of creatures), then they magically jump at 300 kgs (roughly) on their first birthday, making them exceedingly more dangerous, and when full adults, one year later, they suddenly take another 300 kgs.

It's even worse and more infuriating for vanilla dragons. Vanilla dragons stay at the size of a large cat for a thousand years, then on their 1000th birthday they pretty much grow into the largest creature ever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:17 am »

I was under the impression that in the current version growth was gradual, not abrupt.  Are you certain that creatures still change size abruptly when they reach the right age?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:15 am »

I was under the impression that in the current version growth was gradual, not abrupt.  Are you certain that creatures still change size abruptly when they reach the right age?

Uuuh... no. But while it wouldn't make sense in a realistic way, it would made sense seeing the simplicity of the RAWs for creatures.

I suppose I can test this with butchering cave crocodile hatchlings at different months old and see how much products they yield.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:16:52 am by Naryar »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:09 am »

Uuuh... no. But while it wouldn't make sense in a realistic way, it would made sense seeing the simplicity of the RAWs for creatures.

I suppose I can test this with butchering cave crocodile hatchlings at different months old and see how much products they yield.

it must be gradual.
your common vanilla dragons are certainly bigger than a cat or a giant tiger, and they are all juvenile. They still pretty much kick elephants around and bite civilians in halves.
I think to build statictics not butchering is the way to go but just recording the weight of the corpse.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:13 am »

they already give food when butcherd.

Cave crocadile younge give food and bones when butcherd, straight off the bat.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:35 am »

speaking of aging, how long does it take for cave crocs to mature? I'm wanting to get my war crocs stationed at the entrance asap...but I need war crocs first!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:16 am »

They take three years to reach sexual maturity, but visibly are already at max size at two years old.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:21 pm »

it must be gradual.
your common vanilla dragons are certainly bigger than a cat or a giant tiger, and they are all juvenile. They still pretty much kick elephants around and bite civilians in halves.
I think to build statictics not butchering is the way to go but just recording the weight of the corpse.

I think it is gradual, or maybe it happens in discrete steps, but more often than two times (every year? Month? Dunno, but it is possible to check with cage scales). I have some dragons, who according to Legends are over 1000 years old, and they range from 3700 kg to just over 9000 kg . So they should be bigger, around 25000 kg.

Also animals and children do change their status (to adolescent and then to adult) not exactly 1.5 years after birth or how their RAWs say, but semi-randomly, may be a couple of months later or sooner. It's still on the same day of month though (so it's exactly off by 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. months)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 12:45:04 pm »

Giant Desert Scorpions. Greatest war animal ever.

In my current fort I have a giant desert scorpion equipped with a crossbow. I'm not sure how that happened.  :o

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »

I've heard that they can wrestle a weapon from an enemy and beat them with it. Maybe it forgot to drop the crossbow?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »

Giant desert scorpions tend to grasp things at random in the heat of combat. Most of mine tend to clench useless crap, like Xtwo-humped camel leather capXs.

Also, I am pretty sure war giant cave spiders are more dangerous. While the GDS's venom is far more dangerous and GDS overall are far cooler (if only for the ability to use weapons, including ranged ones), the GCS has only one attack and it's a paralyzing bite, plus it has a web-throwing ability, which helps tremendously in single combat. And the GDS must wait till it has two pincers occupied to sting.

Though I would like to see someone putting tame war GDS in fortifications, and then after dumping crossbows and bolts on them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 03:55:29 pm »

GDS poison seems to be slow acting. The poison almost never kills anything, since ongoing combat will kill them before the poison has time to act.

GCS poison takes effect almost instantly, and not only is it 100% lethal but it takes the poisoned creature out of the fight.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »

Giant desert scorpions tend to grasp things at random in the heat of combat. Most of mine tend to clench useless crap, like Xtwo-humped camel leather capXs.

Also, I am pretty sure war giant cave spiders are more dangerous. While the GDS's venom is far more dangerous and GDS overall are far cooler (if only for the ability to use weapons, including ranged ones), the GCS has only one attack and it's a paralyzing bite, plus it has a web-throwing ability, which helps tremendously in single combat. And the GDS must wait till it has two pincers occupied to sting.

Though I would like to see someone putting tame war GDS in fortifications, and then after dumping crossbows and bolts on them.

On Giant Cave Spiders: if you mass 10 or more of them, you can effectively paralyze an infinite amount of enemies because of the continuous rate of web-shot fire. This makes them the ultimate war creatures.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »

Can a GCS shoot through fortifications? Little GCS-filled holes in the walls would serve as paralysing turrets.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4