Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming your own weapon?  (Read 1817 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming your own weapon?
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:18 pm »

Is there any way to get your weapon named at all? I'd love to have myself down in the legends of this world as wielding a sword with a name...
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming your own weapon?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

I've always wondered just what it was that caused a weapon to be named.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

I thought it was killing a named creature?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »

On adventure, your weapon will NEVER be named.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:49:39 pm »

On adventure, your weapon will NEVER be named.

The obvious solution being run a fortress until you get a named weapon you like, and bandon and quest for it.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Philosoraptor

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a philosopher! No, it's a raptor! No, i-AAGGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »

Or adventure, get a weapon with 100+ kills, and drop it on an embark site. Then equip it to a military dwarf who is a certified badass and wait.
Softer than a baby dwarf's beard.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:38 pm »

Weapons literally get experience points. I don't think you can actually view their experience point value anywhere (except maybe a hack tool), but you can see their list of kills.

While they pick up kills in adventure mode (as previously noted) adventurers will never actually name them. Dwarves in fortress mode will, but they don't necessarily have to kill a named creature or megabeast. Weapons can actually get named from a dwarf hanging out in a danger room all the time racking up xp on the weapon. I'm pretty sure naming is based entirely on the experience point val of the weapon, but it just so happens that weapons get lots of xp from things like megabeasts so it may often happen after killing one.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:09 pm »

I'll be the first one to say it: to get a named weapon in adventure mode, I believe you have to pull it from a pedastal somewhere far underground :D

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:36:07 pm »

Or adventure, get a weapon with 100+ kills, and drop it on go to an embark site. flip over to fort mode then equip it to a military dwarf to your self who is a certified badass and wait for creatures to come.
though I never thought about doing something like this on the account that I don't know what triggers the naming or grown attach command.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:46 pm »

Or adventure, get a weapon with 100+ kills, and drop it on an embark site. Then equip it to a military dwarf who is a certified badass and wait.

Damnit. I have a weapon with 100+ named kills, and I was hoping it would get a name. I was going to name it Karl. Karl the Sword.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 04:35:45 pm »

Karl likes pie. He also wishes to one day become a great painter.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

Karl likes pie. He also wishes to one day become a great painter.

I don't know if that would be in the description. I mean, the only people who don't like pie are vomit monsters, and no one cares about them.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:49 pm »

it seems like after meeting the xp requirements to have a named weapon there should be an option to do so. maybe there's a moder for that
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:28 am »

I could have sworn that NPC companions name their weapons after they get enough kills. But that was many saves ago. I imagine this is something Toady is planning but hasn't hit the switch on yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti