Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Usage of barrels and that sort  (Read 1643 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of barrels and that sort
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »

Can I ask a question about food production?

Doesn't making roasts INCREASE the amount of barrels you need?
I ask this because ill often see a few small things like, 1hunk of meat1bit of beer and soem surger, used to make like 300 roasts or something. Doesn't this mean you need MORE barrels if you are making extra "advanced" meals?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 12:18:18 pm »

I've noticed big stacks staying out of barrels, which makes sense as they don't need one and the barrel is free for booze. If you're afraid of vermin, embark with cats and lock every female after the first litter in a cage. When they start dying of old age, release a female, let it breed and lock up again. All the goodness of cats without a catsplosion...lowers your supply of "cat tallow roast (7)" though.
My caged females still pop out kittens.

In one fort all I had was one caged female, no males.  After the elves showed up, she popped out kittens a few months later.  Damn Elves!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:12 pm »

My caged females still pop out kittens.

In one fort all I had was one caged female, no males.  After the elves showed up, she popped out kittens a few months later.  Damn Elves!

Elves just love animals. I wonder how can they trade with dwarves, who are widely known for their penchant for animal cruelty.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 01:25:24 pm »

Actually, you want them angry, then. Angry elves bring rare and exotic animals. Happy elves bring cloth you could mass-produce yourself. It might effect your wood count a little bit, too, though. Personally, I keep 'em upset by offering them a wooden bin after trading them all the mugs out of it.
This is not true anymore. It was true in 40d, but in 31.x this changed. Happy merchants try to bring more of everything, but load up binned materials first. In 40d, elves who were very pleased with you would want to bring so much binned cloth that their pack animals wouldn't have any weight capacity left to carry anything else. In 31.01 and beyond, in order to compensate for the currently-nonfunctional wagons, all pack animals had their weight capacities increased, and all items were made significantly lighter-weight. As such, elves no longer fill their animals' packs entirely with cloth, and will bring more of everything, including useful exotic animals, the happier they are with you.

Can I ask a question about food production?

Doesn't making roasts INCREASE the amount of barrels you need?
I ask this because ill often see a few small things like, 1hunk of meat1bit of beer and soem surger, used to make like 300 roasts or something. Doesn't this mean you need MORE barrels if you are making extra "advanced" meals?
No, because roast stacks that have 11 or more roasts in them don't use barrels at all. If you had, say, 8 dog meat, 3 dwarven sugar, some bear brains, and 15 quarry bush leaves, that would take 4 barrels. Cook those 4 ingredients into a roast, though, and you get 27 quarry bush leaf roasts that take 1 square of storage and won't be put into a barrel, and even once 17 of those roasts are eaten the stack will still take only 1 barrel.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!
Pages: 1 [2]