Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Usage of barrels and that sort  (Read 1645 times)

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Usage of barrels and that sort
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:50 pm »

Well I like foods, especially good foods, like lavish prepared foods, and I like my dwarfs to eat lavishly, or at least eat prepared food, but I really hate what is happening with my food stockpile at the moment. It seem as though my dwarfs won't put the prepared biscuits and stuff in a barrel, and just left it there. Should that happen? Also, I caught an elephant and since they don't last long, I butchered it, and got myself a lot of organs, and intestines, and well all kind of meat, but they too are not being place in a barrel, and is attracting flies and blood gnat, and my cooks don't like that, nor does my brewer, and I hate it too. Popping on and off they are, really annoying. So is this too suppose to happen or it is just something I forgot to ordered and how many blah blah can you place in a barrel before it's full?

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of barrels and that sort
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:59:00 pm »

Build more barrels, and make sure they're close to the kitchen.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:01:56 am »

According to the wiki, one barrel will store up to 10 units of solid matter and 100 units of liquid (except milk-that's 25 units per barrel). So I'd check to see how many barrels you have and maybe start making more barrels as said above. Also, start making lavish meals to use up all the elephant meat to save space in the barrels. It'll use up 4 units of foodstuffs to make 1 meal so that might help your problem. Set up some more kitchens if you need to and get some of your idlers to work as cooks for the time being.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:04:34 am »

If wood and metal is too valuable to make barrels, you can also build large stone pots. They work just as good, and can be traded to the hippies Elves as well.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:06:43 am »

If wood and metal is too valuable to make barrels, you can also build large stone pots. They work just as good, and can be traded to the hippies Elves as well.

Why would you want to... "trade" with them? Just make sure that they don't fall onto your militia's weaponry, and just let them leave.
They don't have anything good anyway.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 12:09:58 am »

Well I have like 20+ barrels sitting in my stockpile and no one use it at all for the elephant meats and the prepared food. It just sitting there, mocking my intelligent, which I will admit is pretty low at that moment.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

I've noticed big stacks staying out of barrels, which makes sense as they don't need one and the barrel is free for booze. If you're afraid of vermin, embark with cats and lock every female after the first litter in a cage. When they start dying of old age, release a female, let it breed and lock up again. All the goodness of cats without a catsplosion...lowers your supply of "cat tallow roast (7)" though.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:15 am »

Why would you want to... "trade" with them? Just make sure that they don't fall onto your militia's weaponry, and just let them leave.

Because my current embark seems to have no coal, the surface has been clear-cut, and at 20 z below the brook, I still haven't found a cavern. That and I've got them trained to bring in yak-loads of trees every spring.

EDIT: I forgot, the first spring, they brought a tame Grizzly Bear (who now guards the main entrance hall), and I'm hoping they'll soon come back and complete the breeding pair.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:15:34 am by gentgeen »

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:52 am »

Well it just that the cats, which I have a lot and kind of regretting not sending them to heaven using my bridge, is not doing anything about the flies and blood gnat.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:16:31 am »

You want a so-called "GCS"...very Fun animals! ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 12:34:46 am »

Truth be told, I have never encounter one before, or even seen it, sad.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:33:45 am »

barrels take wood.  ake rock pots so wood can b used for bins, beds and charcoal.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

The max capacity for a barrel is 10 food, so any items larger than that do not get stored in barrels, thus big hunks of elephant meat, large stacks of prepared meals do not get stored in them. Many will cook up alot of prepared meals, just to free up barrels for booze.
 If you want to get extra use out of the prepared meals, make a small stockpile near your dining hall for prepared meals only, no barrels. Take from main food stockpile. tThat way they will grab one when they go to eat in hopefully a good dining hall. You get two good thoughts from this. Now the rock pots made in mason shops store over twice the amount of food that barrels do. I have seen 25 in a pot before.
 And they will grab a single piece of meat from a 15 size elephant steak, lol. Its just you rarely notice.
 For all that fat you render, here is a good sneaky dwarven trick to get rid of it. Place a stockpile that only accepts fat/tallow next to the depot. Remove fat/tallow from main food stockpile.
 Tallow/fat is hard to find on goods to trade. With it next to the depot, and you having the option of either getting closest/most expensive goods, chose closest. Unload all the fat from the stockpile, just not all, so you can make soap. Then have them bring in more valuable trade goods to the depot. this frees up space in main stockpile.
 While the rock pots are nice, remember you will need barrels for building certain shops, and for syrup. So just do not concentrate on making rock pots
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:30 am »

I had the same problem. I resolved it by making more barrels or pots (in fact I have one workshop set to make large stone pots on repeat) and giving some time for dwarves to collect loose items and put them into barrels.

It was working well, increasing empty space in stockpiles. But it was somewhat severed when I expanded storage area near kitchen. It is only a small storage, with 150 tiles or so and I removed designation and made a bigger one, being careful about barrel setting. It was full of pots/barrels, but dwarves rushed to move them to other stockpiles, and started putting loose meat and other things. I'm slowly recuperating, but it takes time - dwarves will put items like tallow into single pots over time. Also things like stacks of 35 roasts are not put into barrels, because they'd need more of them (like 4 in that example) than when they are lying on ground.

BTW I have modified raws to make fuel from tallow, so it's kind of useful for me and I have plenty of it. But it has to be stored in barrel or it takes more room than seems reasonable.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »

Because my current embark seems to have no coal, the surface has been clear-cut, and at 20 z below the brook, I still haven't found a cavern. That and I've got them trained to bring in yak-loads of trees every spring.

EDIT: I forgot, the first spring, they brought a tame Grizzly Bear (who now guards the main entrance hall), and I'm hoping they'll soon come back and complete the breeding pair.

Actually, you want them angry, then. Angry elves bring rare and exotic animals. Happy elves bring cloth you could mass-produce yourself. It might effect your wood count a little bit, too, though. Personally, I keep 'em upset by offering them a wooden bin after trading them all the mugs out of it.

As for finding the caverns, just make an out-of-the-way or easily-sealable tunnel and start a stack of up-down stairs. Drop a single tile of 'em as far as you can do. You're sure to hit either a cavern or magma eventually. It's normally the first thing I do after my hospital and well is running, with the added benefit of a half-dozen idlers that can be made into a crack team of masons to construct walls and stairs if I hit a cavern so I can keep doing down without actually exposing my fortress.
Pages: [1] 2