Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will the Rapture Affect the Update Schedule?  (Read 2868 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Will the Rapture Affect the Update Schedule?
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

Just asking. Does anyone know if Toady is 'saved', will he be teleported into heaven? If so, does he have a contingency plan to open-source the code after he's gone? And if not, does anyone know how the Rapture will affect his ability to update? Where does he live again, some American city, yes? Will there be traffic problems with all the saved, or is it one of the godless cities like Cleveland?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Rapture Affect the Update Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »

I don't think he will be, from what I gather. Best not give this rapture BS any more posting anyway.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:12:01 pm »

Quite the opposite - the rapture will have to wait until Toady is damn well finished.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:26:52 pm »

Completion of Dwarf Fortress is actually the criteria for the end times.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »

Right because either of 2 things can happen:

1) Df is nether completed and thus rapture nether comes

or

2) df is completetd and we will be upload our minds in its heavenly depths.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:46 pm »

Toady lives in Seattle, which is on the west coast, making it a less religious place, and while I don't know the level of his faith, I do know that the big man up top doesn't like competition, so will probably keep him out on that reason alone, so really, we have nothing to worry about.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »

dont forget to go steal you a military super computer after it happens

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »

dont forget to go steal you a military super computer after it happens

I'll add it to my looting list- hey, if we can steal Watson and hook it up to DF...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure that hooking up Dwarf Fortress to a super computer is liable to start the rapture.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure that hooking up Dwarf Fortress to a super computer is liable to start the rapture.

I'm pretty sure playing dwarf fortress on a super computer is rapture.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure playing DF on a super computer wouldn't be great, because super computers are massively multi-core, and DF is a single-process program.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure playing DF on a super computer wouldn't be great, because super computers are massively multi-core, and DF is a single-process program.

Eh, it'd be the same as running it on whatever type of core the computer uses then.  And I suppose you can't make a single core go faster by making it bigger.  But you could run soooo many other programs simultaneously.  All the programs.  I don't know how many programs there are to make DF better though.  DwarfTherapist and Stonesense are the only ones I use.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »

Eh, it'd be the same as running it on whatever type of core the computer uses then.  And I suppose you can't make a single core go faster by making it bigger.  But you could run soooo many other programs simultaneously.  All the programs.  I don't know how many programs there are to make DF better though.  DwarfTherapist and Stonesense are the only ones I use.

Be a true dwarf and run a different fort on each core.  Think 200 dwarves is tough to manage?  Try running 200,000 in 1,000 simultaneous forts.

With no Therapist, no graphics.  Just the default tileset.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 06:54:48 pm »

Be a true dwarf and run a different fort on each core.  Think 200 dwarves is tough to manage?  Try running 200,000 in 1,000 simultaneous forts.

With no Therapist, no graphics.  Just the default tileset.

That's definitely the seven years of tribulations right there.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »

Real time or DF time?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: [1] 2