Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ramps keep water "flowing" even if only 1 sub-Z level of water is present  (Read 1135 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2 suggested minor changes to ramps, this to make water tunnels and flows (sewers?) easier to make without tower caps springing in it, blocking everything up and to prevent semi random "loss" of water in a carefully constructed closed water cycle constructed for various reasons

suggested changes:

-ramps keep water "flowing" even if only 1 sub-Z level of water is present on the ramp
sub-z level as in 1/7 water

-mud does not collect on top of a ramp, it flows off, thus ramps do not become "muddy"

explanation:

if a 1/7 water is present on a ramp, it will try to flow off the tile, just as if it was sitting on top of a 7/7 level of water

it can flow back onto another ramp, but will keep trying to flow off until its on a solid ground
the flow off motion prefers tiles without any water on it, and from those it prefers non-ramp tiles over ramps (so water always wants to "flow off" ramps onto flat ground if 1/7, unless flat ground has water on it)

this to prevent "loss" in a slide system, one can imagine a 2 ramps wide channel dug out as a channel ending in a V curved floor, in stead of a flat surface at the bottom and when the water level lowers it is held in a tighter fit to prevent water flow to stop

large area covered in ramps can be seen as an area covered in little V shaped channels to serve the same purpose in the same way, just copied over and over next to one another

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Personally I think this is a great idea. I also theorize that it will make 1z falls easier on the FPS. This could also open up a new landscape where rivers gradually slope down a hill instead of BAM! waterfall.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm

The non-muddying part would be nice for large scale artificial waterfalls.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

or planned argiculture

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if you have 2 ramps like this?
Code: [Select]
╔══╗
║▲▲║
╚══╝

Then if you put 1/7 water on one, won't it keep switching between the 2?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

In that case water simply can not travel from one ramp to another if it cant go anywhere else. I love the idea.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Actually 1/7 depth water evaporates rather quickly. You actually save fps by by just leaving it moving back and forth instead of giving each individual wave it's own pathfinding.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i see one problem, there are no down ramps, only up ramps.  if water is on a square that is a ramp, it is already at the lowest level it can be. if it could go lower it already would have been there.  water never hovers on a down ramp, it would just fall down to the next level, and then it would be on a up ramp square.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

I'm already imagining a huge slope leading up to my fort, and if there's hostiles on the way, i open floodgates and send a huge wave of magma rushing down the slope, burning all as it goes.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If this applied to Magma too, it would make it possible to unfreeze frozen Rivers without having to keep constantly draining the magma.

What if you have 2 ramps like this?
Code: [Select]
╔══╗
║▲▲║
╚══╝

Then if you put 1/7 water on one, won't it keep switching between the 2?
And that, I'm actually for. If you built that design, you'd have a reliable repeater in minutes. Even though we have reliable repeaters already, that design looks easier to me.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ramps should be counted as having 3/7 water in them already for water pathing calculations. That would automatically shift any small amounts of water away. Plus it would make it safe to make ramp shores for rivers and lakes/oceans.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i see one problem, there are no down ramps, only up ramps.  if water is on a square that is a ramp, it is already at the lowest level it can be. if it could go lower it already would have been there.  water never hovers on a down ramp, it would just fall down to the next level, and then it would be on a up ramp square.
You missed the point; a ramp forces movement.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Doomsought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ramps should be counted as having 3/7 water in them already for water pathing calculations. That would automatically shift any small amounts of water away. Plus it would make it safe to make ramp shores for rivers and lakes/oceans.
Sounds like a good implementation.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only potential problem i can see would be water flowing onto two adjacent ramps causing FPS fun. Other then that potential problem i don't see any reason why not.