Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 1338 times)

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
Neutering
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »

Adding neutering to the prefrences options next to butchering that will stop the animal from reproducing/giving birth. This would be useful for strategic animal husbandry, and also preventing catsplosions (or, more importantly, rabbitsplosions).

This might be difficult since breeding is still done by spores, but maybe could be used by adding two more castes to domestic animals (NEUTERED_MALE, SPAYED_FEMALE) so the give birth tokens are removed. However, for the male, to remove the reproducing token would have to get into hardcodes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Neutering
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »

I think it would be an acceptable feature to add.
I myself gets annoyed whenever something gives birth to something in this game.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:54:14 pm »

Spaying wasn't possible back in the old days was it?

It wouldn't be that hard to do, you'd just have a boolean value of CAN_REPRODUCE as a variable in the animals attributes.

Breeding isn't actually done by spores, just in case you think that it is. It's just said that it is because animals don't fornicate.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »

This has been discussed before and I'm not sure anyone saw any objection to it. Neutering, at least, is definitely appropriate, although there should be some risk of infection.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53:18 am »

I think you'd need to put animal caretaking in first...you know, to prevent the tomcats from bleeding to death after having their balls (BAAAAWLLS!) chopped off.

That's probably what they'd do, really...just grab an axe and whack! Or a sharp rock.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:05:39 pm »

You already have an option to neuter your pets: 'Butcher'.

Keeping them in cages keeps them from breeding as well. I support this suggestion as it's a nice add on, but I question it's necessity at the current time as there is already a solution to the problem.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »

a better way to do it imo is to have some kind of automatic butcher function that can filter on traits, and thus save the ones with the desired traits from butchering combined with automatic neutering set in some menu that makes jobs available at a farmers workshop to neuter specific animals that do not have enough of the desired traits

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

You already have an option to neuter your pets: 'Butcher'.

Keeping them in cages keeps them from breeding as well. I support this suggestion as it's a nice add on, but I question it's necessity at the current time as there is already a solution to the problem.

Cages are buggy and having to butcher them requires constant effort to maintain a constant population level.

Also, what the hell is the point of keeping cats and dogs if they're in cages all the time!?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:26:37 pm »

Cage one gender, use the other gender. That's what I do at least, I leave two male cats out and leave the others in the cage. I put all of my dogs in a cage for a 'doberman trap'. As or cages being buggy I have no clue what you're talking about, just shove them all in a cage. If you don't like that, build a cage for each animal. Butchering them is fairly simplistic through the Z screen, or if you keep them all in one area.

If the butcher automatically did my job, what would I do? And how would it know what traits I prefer?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »

As or cages being buggy I have no clue what you're talking about, just shove them all in a cage. If you don't like that, build a cage for each animal. Butchering them is fairly simplistic through the Z screen, or if you keep them all in one area.

There might be an outstanding bug regarding creatures not growing properly while in cages, but I can't confirm it.

Also, having to build a cage for every single animal would be irritating. It would be much simpler to be able to actually sterilize our pets; it's a completely reasonable suggestion, and wouldn't require leaving extraneous animals in cages, or butchering them.

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:07 pm »