Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I find an old fortress as an adventurer?  (Read 1359 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I find an old fortress as an adventurer?
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:02 pm »

I really want to go and look at my old, dead fortress using a new adventurer, but it seems almost impossible to find. I can get its rough location, but it doesn't seem to show up on any detailed legends maps, and simply walking around until I see it would take hours...

Is there a simple way, or is it just a matter of searching carefully?

EDIT: Hurrah! I found it by choosing it as a Reclaim option in fortress mode, taking a screenshot, then carefully matching up the rivers to the area around me. Shame about the demons that instantly raped my face though...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:43:17 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find an old fortress as an adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »

Another way, is if you know roughly which bit of the world it is in, take an adventurer there and ask the locals about surroundings. Eventually they will mention your fortress, usually in conjunction with a historical event that happened there (its founding, creation of an artifact, someone getting killed, etc...)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Using an adventurer to locate good sites,(coal, iron,flux) then copying your adventurers location, with a screen shot, is nice to also find a good location to embark in fortress mode. A added bonus is that your dwarves can buy up good human size armor, weapons, clothing, ammo(arrows), and act as a huge storehouse for adventurers. Since you found out the mistake of visiting a old fort where the circus was in town(besides being eaten, fps goes to heck), ones that have fallen to gobbos, are still fun.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:51 am »

ones that have fallen to gobbos, are still fun.

Yeah, well, my tired adventurer seeking some rest went into the fortress that had just been overrun by goblins. At first I thought I would be able to take them on slowly, then I saw the Grand Master Lasher. End of story.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:49:57 pm »

(besides being eaten, fps goes to heck)

Nope :P

My epic i7 processor can take it, unless I'm just lucky.

It's a shame, I really wanted to look at the engravings and stuff... :(
[Signature]

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:58 pm »

(besides being eaten, fps goes to heck)

Nope :P

My epic i7 processor can take it, unless I'm just lucky.

It's a shame, I really wanted to look at the engravings and stuff... :(

my i5 does not get any fps drop ether

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »

My processor must stink. Read the above comments, revisited, still went to a crawl. At least I was able to grab some bolts. Took awhile, least did not wind up as a snack. By the way, lead bins do not get scattered. It was just odd the fps went to a crawl at just the old forts embark site
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:33:50 pm by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration