Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your favorite type of Liberal  (Read 1394 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Your favorite type of Liberal
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:35 am »

I like playing LCS, and I was wondering what type of rebel leader you would choose.  For me, it's fun being either the persuasive, thief-like leader, and the other type is the gun-toting sociopath/freedom fighter ( although this type does have a shorter life expectancy ).  So tell me, what's yours?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite type of Liberal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:32:06 am »

Depends on the game, but typically my founder is of the type that can easily take advantage of both seduction and persuasion.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05:34 am »

My favorite type of rebel leader?
Smartest (Intelligence 10) gal (yes, I only play females LCS leader) on Earth, really good (Charisma 8 ) with the guys and the other chicks (Yes, she is a bisexual polyamorous slut, and proud of it!), decent agility (7) for ninjaing everywhere.
I also usually start with 2 security and Driving (a pain in the ass to raise otherwise), and the Bug car (to get early training in driving skill).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:56:21 am »

Driving is not pain in the ass to raise, as soon as you've got some money and some time you can easily afford a few weeks of drivers' ed at the university, giving you enough skill to get started with (or more if you like). Security, on the other hand, can't be trained at the University (AFAIK), can't be trained from scratch at all unless you've got a liberal to teach it, is bloody important and isn't routinely found on any easy-to-recruit NPC. In a recent game I desperately needed security for my computer expert who had just been released from jail - she had to bust my founder out as well. Well, it took quite a while (in real time, in game time it was just a few days because I've turned table despawning off in my copy for experimentation) but I found a single teenager with security skill 2 - I had my hacker be teached to level 1, and after that she grinded stealth by stealing cars (lots of them) and robbing the housing project.

So, I'd like if there was an obvious security NPC for hire (like there's one for almost every other skill), or some other means to train the skill from scratch. Looking at the source, the only creatures that are meant to get security apart from random skills are mercs (tough to recruit), hardened veterans (need I say?), about 1 prisoner in 10 (easy to recruit but the odds aren't good - and since you probably release them, you'll have plenty of unwanted people to get rid off) and thieves (appears as some less-suspicious creature, so it's trial and error more trial).

SUGGESTION: Would it be good if street sense enabled the squad to see through character disguises? Or perhaps even CCS membership at a glance?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:31:28 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »

So, I'd like if there was an obvious security NPC for hire (like there's one for almost every other skill), or some other means to train the skill from scratch. Looking at the source, the only creatures that are meant to get security apart from random skills are mercs (tough to recruit), hardened veterans (need I say?), about 1 prisoner in 10 (easy to recruit but the odds aren't good - and since you probably release them, you'll have plenty of unwanted people to get rid off) and thieves (appears as some less-suspicious creature, so it's trial and error more trial).

SUGGESTION: Would it be good if street sense enabled the squad to see through character disguises? Or perhaps even CCS membership at a glance?

I would suggest creating a locksmith character.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:07 am »

Good idea, they could have some 4-7 skill initially. I'd also add a point or two to engineers.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:26 am »

Love that idea.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:50 am »

In the devsnack thread it goes then!

EDIT: Locksmith characters with guaranteed security skill can now be found around town in the latest revision of the trunk.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:37:15 am by Kay12 »

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:21:25 pm »

Actually, speaking of which, could we perhaps conservative versions of disguise and stealth?

Conservatives, namely agents and CCS members could disguise themselves as liberals, or in some cases, stealth themselves. Such conservative agents could call out on you when you do a liberal activity in front of them, while stealthed conservatives would appear when the alarm is off, and would gain the initiative to shoot at you while you're not unsuspecting.

Problems with this is the lack of a skill to be used as counter-measures, other than Street Sense, anyway, and the fact that it could be really annoying when training a character. It basically means death when grinding mindlessly when conservatives can suddenly pop out and kill you.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »

My favorite leader is the "underage ninja avenger."

How to do it:

1. Create a founder with Security skill.
2. Recruit a handful of child Workers at the factories.
3. Find the child with the best array of stats for what you want them to do. Generally I look for Intelligence, Agility, and Charisma (in that order)
4. Run a squad with the founder and your chosen sucesser .
5. Pick locks in apartments until your sucesser has 1 Security.
6. Earn 100+ juice with child.
7. Have leader suicide.

Nothing beats having a LCS almost entirely filled with murderous children. Granted, they should NOT use any sort of melee weapon four at least four years, however I've found high agility to be relatively common in child workers, making them excellent gunmen.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:06 am »

5. Pick locks in apartments until your sucesser has 1 Security.

Because security is (I think) trained by successful rolls, you could have your founder (who already has the skill) steal tons of cars, sell them all (except maybe for one sportscar for the future) and use the cash to teach the junior liberal.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:53:17 am »

My method only takes a day to train.

When anyone sucessfully picks a lock, the entire squad gains some security skill. Generally The Student learns the basics of lockpicking after one run of the industrial projects.

For cash I generally have the children I DON'T want to be my founder selling brownies. Much safer for my founder and his sucessor (Generally I prefer Nightmare Mode)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:56:19 am by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:46 am »

Yeah, selling brownies is the ultimate way to profit from unwanted people, to the extent I would almost consider it broken. It provides nice cash at conservative drug laws and will usually end up in the unwanted person dying. This typically means that an enlightened-too-late liberal doesn't get to hurt the organization by testifying - just hit 'F'ight and let 'em die.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the security stuff. I didn't remember that everyone in the squad gains skill! The skill still can't be trained from scratch otherwise than having someone teach it (on site or at base), I assume?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:26:17 am by Kay12 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:25 am »

Shadow Leader Professional Thief

Money isn't an issue, ever. With a little bit of persuasion background, I find my first "leaders" of the LCS. Usually an author and someone with a background in manufacturing something. They control two different wings of the organization, legal and illegal. They both bump up their social skills and begin expanding the network from them. My leader disguises himself as a contractor that breaks in new recruits and helps them get their feet wet fighting for the LCS, by taking them with him on burglaries. He runs classes in the meantime on covert operations.

By the time the LCS starts moving visibly, the actors in the missions are already 3 to 4 steps removed from the actual leader of the LCS, and none of them have direct contact with their link to the leader either. It makes for some rocky starts to the LCS' actions, but my best people are always well insulated from the results.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 08:10:18 am »

Intelligence, charisma and agility, is the recipe for a perfect founder. Coincidentally, I happen to be smart, charismatic and (to a smaller extent) nimble. Maybe I should start a crime squad of my own!