Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funny, Fortuitous Works of Dwarven Art  (Read 1704 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Funny, Fortuitous Works of Dwarven Art
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

So I'm setting up a magma death room for sieges, slowly filling it with gruesome iron statues. So far whichever dwarf has been making these iron statues has favored images of fire snakes and forgotten beasts and best of all a statue of Usen Searchhelped the Gate of Healing--a god of sacrifice. Looking through the statue list I also noticed a masterful green glass statue of Stakud Perfectclasp, the duchess of the fort, surrounded by large roaches, looking terrified. It now stands at the foot of the duchess's artifact dacite bed. I like to imagine her going to sleep looking at the statue.

So please, share your dwarven art which, for whatever reason, brought a smile to your face--through schadenfreude or simple amusement.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funny, Fortuitous Works of Dwarven Art
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »

My last forts main export of stonecrafts were of kobolds. Nothing but kobolds.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

I was lining my fort's vault (For adventure mode) and the statues were of forgotten beasts and slaying.

The funny part is that I was planning on using the equipment to slaughter the land.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:18:09 am »

They just make endless images of my bookkeeper/manager surrounded by, embracing or admiring things. Surrounded by blood gnats. Surrounded by fisher berries. Embracing a penguin. Admiring a table. Admiring two tables. Admiring a rabbit. Embracing two rabbits. Admiring a plump helmet. Surrounded by penguins. I sold the humans a masterful cloak embroidered with a masterful image of my bookkeeper hugging a penguin. Love to know how they explained that one to their superiors back home.

I know dwarves make images of other dwarves with things they like or are terrified by, but seriously like one in two of anything I make with an image on will have the bookkeeper embracing or admiring something on it. Bellrings is 26 years old, it's not like nothing ELSE interesting has happened... where are all the images of my military murdering goblins and megabeasts? :(
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:20 am »

My guess is that your bookkeeper/manager has been socializing with your artisans more often than the soldiers. But then again, every fortress has its fetishes I guess; kinda like Boatmurdered's inhabitants had a thing for elephants and cheese.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:31:35 am »

Furries in my DF?
It's more likely than You think.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:08:07 am »

My old metalsmith used to like making statues of himself... He also made an artifact statue of our civ's general, named after himself of course. Since he got killed due to poor jail maintenance, the fort's not been quite the same...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:18 am »

My carpenter went into a strange mood and made an artifact wooden crutch.

Only a few days after finishing it a yeti tore off one of his legs. He now uses his artifact wooden crutch to get around.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:50 am »

My bookkeeper is a total antisocial, after 26 years he has just five friends and all of them were founders. :\
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:24:28 am »

My bookkeeper is a total antisocial, after 26 years he has just five friends and all of them were founders. :\
Bother building a huge statue of him riding a penguin-rabbit crossbreed and being surrounded by blood gnats carrying fisher berries, looking horrified and delighted at the same time?
all on a giant table?

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:28:02 am »

Furries in my DF?
<---------- :P

Also considering what I've heard about creatures like pandamen and tigermen, well.......

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:12 am »

Furries in my DF?
<---------- :P

Also considering what I've heard about creatures like pandamen and tigermen, well.......

Wait.. what you are saying.. is that tigermen and such.. really are humans dressed up as animals?

D:

!!Ruined forever!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)