Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1309813 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 coming out on October 1st
« Reply #9210 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »

"Ugh.. I hate getting free stuff... Fuck people for giving things to me for free."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »

It's neat stuff, but it's still really more of the same stuff.  It just doesn't look like there's anything truly new.  At least the Hollow would change the game mechanics, but the new stuff just seems like... stuff...

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: September 12, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

As Terraria stands now could it be run with an Intel GMA 4500 integrated chipset? I'm just wondering because I might want to try it out sometime.
I run it it on an integrated Intel chipset just fine. Not sure if its the same one you've got, but the computer in question is a low-mid range laptop that has trouble with Half-Life 2 era graphics. Terraria runs smooth as silk even during boss battles and stuff with fancy lighting effects.

I've got an Intel GMA 4500, which is to say I've got the cost-reduced version of the Intel GMA X4500 that uses Intel's Express 45/43 technologies. It performs about the same if not somewhat better than an Nvidia Geforce 8400M according to the tests made after it's release in 2008. Runs Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines at 30-60fps and can even play some of the more modern games on Low-Medium settings.

Going on what you've said and with what I've learned about my chipset so far I think it's safe to say that I'll do my best to work in a copy of Terraria into next week's budget. Just means that I'm going to have a tight week next week. Either way I look forward to trying out Terraria. I just hope I like it. I think I might like it. What would you guys say are some games that Terraria is like or similar to so I may perhaps get an idea of what I'm getting myself into?
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9213 on: September 12, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »

Terraria's basically a "metroidvania" plus building. Don't let anybody tell you it's "2D Minecraft", because it isn't. Adventuring and exploring is primary, with combat as a secondary focus, and building and sandbox-y elements come in after those two (though very closely). Not to say that you can't build, of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »

You can build some fairly complex stuff as well, which is likely to get even more complex with the future addition of different-colored wires.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »

Some day in the far far future... they will make a game where building things actually has a point.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9216 on: September 12, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »

Some day in the far far future... they will make a game where building things actually has a point.
I've heard of this game called "real life", you should check it out.

(But for more nihilism, why play games at all?)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is already a thing, y'know?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: September 12, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »

It isn't there yet... And also not quite the genre I meant.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: September 12, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »

It isn't there yet... And also not quite the genre I meant.

It's pretty much there, IMHO. I can't even remember the last time I built something in Dwarf Fortress that was just for show. All of my constructions are gatehouses, archer towers, defensive walls, etc.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:53 pm »

PTW.
Is it possible to shift your 1.1~ character to the newest update?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9221 on: September 12, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »

PTW.
Is it possible to shift your 1.1~ character to the newest update?
Yes.

Obviously you'll need a new world for all the new biomes, areas, dungeons, items, etc.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »

There will be a 1.2.1 coming out after 1.2. Includes the Space Dolphin Machine Gun, the Kitty Assassin Outfit, and Meowmur.

No, I am not joking.
I LOST THE GAME

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »

Well, I'm glad that they're finally adding in the one thing everyone wanted.

Penguins. There better be a million of them.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: September 12, 2013, 07:56:08 pm »

Terraria's basically a "metroidvania" plus building. Don't let anybody tell you it's "2D Minecraft", because it isn't. Adventuring and exploring is primary, with combat as a secondary focus, and building and sandbox-y elements come in after those two (though very closely). Not to say that you can't build, of course.
I've never played Castlevania and I've never played Metroid outside of that one for the GBA, which I tried out at a Walmart when I was a kid. I do however like adventuring and exploring. I also like combat and I like building things. Thing about sandbox elements though is that sometimes they leave me with some degree of choice paralysis and other times if I stick with it for long enough I get bored and need to take a hiatus. Not really a problem but it might result in me taking breaks for one to three months at a time.

Also the first thing I thought of when I saw this game was that it did remind me of Minecraft, which I like very much despite my only experiences with said game being the single-player version. I don't think it's a bad thing as I also thought to myself that Terraria reminded me of the fun aspects of Dwarf Fortress and Haven and Hearth, which would be the building and the exploration.

Either way I think I'm sold on at least playing this game in between bouts of Fable: The Lost Chapters and Moonlight Online. Just got to devote $9.99 of next week's $50 check to it, so if I'm able to do that the earliest I might be in Terraria would be somewhere around the 15th to the 17th. I look forward to playing with you guys.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 887