Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308483 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10845 on: October 18, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »

One of the big challenges with 'difficult bosses' is the environmental factor. Go back and read the last couple of pages of this thread; they're full of tips like this (no offense intended to the author):
I dunno what problems you guys are having with the Golem. I just set up a wall thing so that there's a large gap but not large enough for him to walk through, then I'm up on an incline behind it and I just murder his ass with a tacshot and chlorophyte bullets. Didn't have any problem at all.

Basically: if a boss is too hard, screw with the terrain until he's trivial. If a boss becomes a puzzle boss, then people will just resort to 'solving' the boss by constructing arenas that mess up its AI or nullify its attacks. If the point of Terraria is to construct arenas that nullify each boss, then so be it; but in doing so, you've made it impossible to design bosses that can be beaten through creative use of various weapons. I guess terrain advantage is inevitable when the game engine allows you to destroy/replace blocks, but right now every boss is simplified or trivialized by the right terrain; the only useful aspect of weapons is their DPS (and their piercing, which influences their DPS), along with a small mention of their ammo cost, and I don't see a simple change that would fix this.

It doesn't help that there are really only 2 viable arena designs. If the boss passes through walls, then you need a long, flat platform so you can backpedal and shoot ranged weapons at him (Wall of Flesh, the Twins, Eye of Cthulhu, etc). If the boss does not pass through walls, you need a wall that stops him attacking you, while still allowing you to shoot him (Golem, King Slime, etc). Pretty much anything else is just making your life more difficult.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: October 18, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »

...I used a box arena with multiple levels of wooden platforms for my fight against the Eye, so that I could grapple and jump around him.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: October 18, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »

It would help if the bosses had fairness-checking code that looked at your setup where he would be summoned and tried various ways of pathing to you, and if you've set it up so he can't hurt you he doesn't spawn.

If you set it up during the fight he despawns.

Even give the player a message saying "<boss_name> won't bother fighting you because the battlefield is too restrictive."

Then give bosses the ability to chew through walls slowly if it means getting to the player. If they can't get to you after a certain amount of chewing, it despawns as above.

I love the idea of being able to summon bosses. It's a great way to handle having a huge world and not placing bosses directly. But I think making arenas to fight the boss turns it back around to dumb old games where Bowser has his lava room - except you get to design Bowser's room instead of him.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: October 18, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »

Okay, so technically there's 3 arenas. Line, box, and blocking.  :-[

The point more or less stands, though - fighting a boss with a suitable arena (of which there are only a few variants) makes your life a lot easier, to the point that many bosses are borderline impossible without terraforming in advance.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:22 pm »

Hey,  would anyone mind if I installed a self destruct switch on the planepacked server? I have enough TNT to level most of the surface, plus the wiring to pull it off.

Yes? No?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10850 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:40 pm »

Hey,  would anyone mind if I installed a self destruct switch on the planepacked server? I have enough TNT to level most of the surface, plus the wiring to pull it off.

Yes? No?
Why would you want to blow up the multiplayer server?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10851 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:04 pm »

Just saying right now, If my servers get blown up for a second time I'm probably just going to stop hosting them.

I'm already annoyed at people leaving fucking mines all over.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »

Yes, they cry havoc and loose the dogs of war. What were we talking about again?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #10853 on: October 18, 2013, 09:33:54 pm »

I just assembled a teleporter from my base to a floating island. This teleporter was meant to decrease the the amount of time from base to dungeon. It took nearly 40 gold of wire, a good half hour, and all it did was shave a minute off the trip. And that's only a third of the way to the dungeon. A THIRD.

Whhhhhhy.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: October 19, 2013, 02:45:18 am »

I think a lot would be gained by giving certain bosses - hardmode bosses specifically - the ability to alter terrain. Make Golem smash bricks with his fists, make Plantera grow a jungle around it and use it to grapple, make Skeletron Prime's rockets destroy blocks, etc. If the concern against this is bosses destroying people's work, then, well - why the hell not? Bosses should not be fought where there is stuff to be destroyed, and randomly spawned bosses give enough advance warning.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: October 19, 2013, 04:18:50 am »

I think a lot would be gained by giving certain bosses - hardmode bosses specifically - the ability to alter terrain. Make Golem smash bricks with his fists, make Plantera grow a jungle around it and use it to grapple, make Skeletron Prime's rockets destroy blocks, etc. If the concern against this is bosses destroying people's work, then, well - why the hell not? Bosses should not be fought where there is stuff to be destroyed, and randomly spawned bosses give enough advance warning.

Or you could just not use the damn trick. :P

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: October 19, 2013, 08:28:00 am »

*shrugs* The game and bosses are exactly as hard as you make it, kind of like our good old df. If I go at a boss with my best gear, of course I'm going to murder it with little problem. Want it harder? Make a challenge for yourself. Like no arenas, no hardmode weapons/armour, no buff potions, whatever else you can think of.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:01 am »

But why not have bosses that cannot be intentionally made harder because they are by their very nature already too hard to handle? An Over-Hard mode, so to speak. Bosses so hard that no amount of in-game preparation will make fighting a cakewalk.

Speaking of in-game preparation. How much damage does a block of Explosives do? 100? Ten by ten blocks would make a hundred, for 10000 damage, right?

How much health do the Twins have? Passing through blocks, are ye two? :evilgrin:

The Destroyer would have it even worse. String a long line of Explosives blocks with a lever at the end, a safe distance away. Make the worm chase you along the line, stringing him out parallel to it. Run to the end and pull the lever.

I wonder if anyone's tried it yet...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:33:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: October 19, 2013, 08:42:18 am »

According to the wiki, explosives deal 250 damage to enemies and around 500 to players.  However, I'm fairly certain that enemies can only be affected by one explosion at a time, so if 10 or 100 explosive blocks were to go off simultaneously, you'd still only be dealing 250 damage.

But then again, against the destroyer, that is of course 250 per segment.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: October 19, 2013, 09:26:21 am »

Players no longer take 2x damage from player-based damage sources. There are three wikis and two of them are done quite unprofessionally and are generally inferior, at least as far as I've seen. The best one is the gamepedia one - everything there tends to be correct or rapidly corrected.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 887