Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1308466 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10830 on: October 18, 2013, 01:00:05 am »

My temple was bugged and didn't have an altar, so I spawned one in and just slapped it down on my regular boss arena (a 100 block line of brick floating in the air wow). Didn't have any problems there, other than Golem landing on me which did more damage than the rest of the attacks.

Also I got a bunch of the new dungeon magic and they are so awesome... except for the fact that i have multiples of them and not, say, rocket launchers or black belts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: October 18, 2013, 07:43:18 am »

I dunno what problems you guys are having with the Golem. I just set up a wall thing so that there's a large gap but not large enough for him to walk through, then I'm up on an incline behind it and I just murder his ass with a tacshot and chlorophyte bullets. Didn't have any problem at all.

I don't have a problem with his movement, I have a problem with his lasers that pass through walls.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:22 am »

Though I'm not sure how it measures up to the Shark.
Honestly, I prefer the Megashark. The uzi just devours ammo.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

I dunno what problems you guys are having with the Golem. I just set up a wall thing so that there's a large gap but not large enough for him to walk through, then I'm up on an incline behind it and I just murder his ass with a tacshot and chlorophyte bullets. Didn't have any problem at all.

I don't have a problem with his movement, I have a problem with his lasers that pass through walls.
He only starts to laser at 8000 or so. Just brutalize him and he'll go down.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:56 am »

Honestly the Laser isn't what will kill you once you have the hang of moving around. Even in the small Arena.

Though I won't spoil what will.

Though destroying his hands will give you a lot of breathing room.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:16 am »

I really wish Terraria had more bosses. More proper bosses, with more varied tactics than "move at you" and "shoot at you". The Brain of Cthulhu was a great step in the right direction in my opinion, though horribly wasted with its subpar difficulty. It could have been so much more interesting. It should have had its drones as a breather phase, and should have had a series of projectile attacks or a series of melee lunges a-la EoC chosen at random between breathers. Kill its drones, it opens up and attacks for a bit, then closes and releases drones again. Rinse and repeat. The drones would have to not drop any vertebrae or tissue samples to prevent farming, and would only be a source of meager coinage and hearts to replenish the player between attacks.

Terraria, for all of its being a cross between Minecraft and a Metroidvania platformer, really lacks proper platformer bosses. Proper Metroidvania bosses I don't even mention - about the only such one is Plantera, for which you really need at least a grappling hook to match its mobility. The bosses need more patterns, more behaviors, more effects. I hope that whatever Terraria 2 ends up being (assuming it ever makes it out of planning stage, of course), such things will exist in it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: October 18, 2013, 02:48:21 pm »

I really wish Terraria had more bosses. More proper bosses, with more varied tactics than "move at you" and "shoot at you". The Brain of Cthulhu was a great step in the right direction in my opinion, though horribly wasted with its subpar difficulty. It could have been so much more interesting. It should have had its drones as a breather phase, and should have had a series of projectile attacks or a series of melee lunges a-la EoC chosen at random between breathers. Kill its drones, it opens up and attacks for a bit, then closes and releases drones again. Rinse and repeat. The drones would have to not drop any vertebrae or tissue samples to prevent farming, and would only be a source of meager coinage and hearts to replenish the player between attacks.

Terraria, for all of its being a cross between Minecraft and a Metroidvania platformer, really lacks proper platformer bosses. Proper Metroidvania bosses I don't even mention - about the only such one is Plantera, for which you really need at least a grappling hook to match its mobility. The bosses need more patterns, more behaviors, more effects. I hope that whatever Terraria 2 ends up being (assuming it ever makes it out of planning stage, of course), such things will exist in it.
I dunno... it's really annoying to fight a boss that has a particular weakness multiple times. It becomes less of a "All right, here we go, let's throw everything we have at this guy," and more of a "Don't worry, guys - just aim for his LEFT EYE." If you've ever played a Sonic the Hedgehog game (like Sonic Adventure 2) and fought the bosses multiple times, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, it's hard enough to make bosses with complex mechanics. It's REALLY hard to make bosses with complex mechanics that work with multiple people fighting it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: October 18, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »

Zelda comes to mind. Link to the Past had a few bosses that shared defeat tricks, and you could generally figure it out. Like, on Turtle Rock, there was this scorpion guy with a mask. When you slash the mask it PINGs. Hm, need to break dat mask. What do I have? Hammer! Bombs! Both work! Gotta do it a couple times! Oops now he moves faster but you can hurt him. Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Make a dude with shields that get smaller every time he uses his special attack. Just survive his special attack enough times and he's vulnerable.

Make a dude that eats wood and heals - get rid of the wood and he's a piece of cake.

It's not like the Terraria guy can't think of cool ideas, or implement them.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: October 18, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »

Make a dude with shields that get smaller every time he uses his special attack. Just survive his special attack enough times and he's vulnerable.
I'm suddenly reminded of that bonus boss in Cyber Troopers Virtual-On. It's a massively powerful mech that gets weaker every time you lose to it.

How about a boss that takes less damage the more armored the players attacking it are? Pretty much just straight up add the defense of the attacking player to the boss's defense for each of that player's attacks. Suddenly, a boss that the game's perfect armor sets are no longer so useful against.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: October 18, 2013, 05:23:59 pm »

Then you'd just use crystal bullets + megashark, plus some DoTs.  Basically, the Dungeon Guardian strategy.

Still though, that would at least mean you'd gear up specifically for that boss' weakness, rather than just pulling out your generally best stuff.  I don't know, this is kind of a tricky subject.

Oglaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »

I think it would be a bit more interesting if the game further divided attacks into categories beyond simple "magic, melee, ranged, usables" and perhaps gave some sort of combination of attributes to each weapon or ammo, such as giving a weapon like Ice Blade the properties of "Freezing, Slashing" for the swing and "Freezing, Magic, Projectile" for the projectile it shoots.

And with that, giving enemies attributes that would make them vulnerable or resistant to certain types of damage, instead of a simple "Damage - 0.5*defense" formula.

I suppose it would encourage players to use (or at least carry around) a variety of weapons, rather than always having the same three (one which you almost never use, anyway) weapons in the hotbar.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:57:49 pm by Oglaf »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: October 18, 2013, 06:00:11 pm »

So like an element system? It makes sense, seeing as the hell stuff is all fiery, jungle stuff is all grassy, there's clearly ice stuff, dungeon stuff looks pretty watery, etc. .
But it'd be somewhat unbalanced if just thrown in with the stuff as it is.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Oglaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:58 pm »

So like an element system? It makes sense, seeing as the hell stuff is all fiery, jungle stuff is all grassy, there's clearly ice stuff, dungeon stuff looks pretty watery, etc. .
But it'd be somewhat unbalanced if just thrown in with the stuff as it is.

Indeed. Since 3 of the hardmode bosses are all made of metal and the golem is made of stone, it wouldn't be long until certain types of damage are considered "the best" which is the opposite of what is intended to be accomplished with an "element" system. There are more examples of this, such as most of the pre-hardmode bosses and enemies being made of either flesh or bone.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:09:44 pm by Oglaf »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10843 on: October 18, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »

Yeah, if anything that could be done. Making good bosses is surprisingly hard, just because everyone wants something different. I'm okay with body bumping bosses and maintain the bosses in terraria, while not deep, are fairly exciting (you can dodge most of the body bumps, so it works), but other people aren't, all perfectly valid opinions, and at the same time I never thought LttP bosses were particularly good, besides maybe Blind. A "good boss fight" is such a variable thing that you just kind've have to trial and error and see what works for your group of players.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: October 18, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »

I'd say make every boss a puzzle rather than a rock-paper-scissors. Like, for example, in Link to the Past there's an eyeball monster with eyeballs floating around it. You use the hookshot to grab a little eye, hack it as it drifts back, and continue doing that until the creature is dead.

In that way, the grappling hook becomes the weapon to use against that boss, but in less of a "water vs. fire" way and more of an environmental interaction way.

How about a boss that spews out lava? Or water? Makes you blind? Reflects missiles?

Never played the game so I don't really know what it has except for what I've seen in some group LPs.

Specifically, if people keep bringing up specific pieces of equipment that are the best, it's time to develop a few bosses against whom those are useless. Again, not just arbitrarily. For example, if there's a gun that shoots coins and it's really good, make a monster that collects coins and shooting him just makes him really happy and lets him chug healing potions.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 887