Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs?! v. Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5645 times)

Tryntu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs?! v. Dwarf Fortress
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:01 pm »

http://www.dwarfs-game.com/

Anyone else feeling like someone liked dwarf fortress so much they decided to put a price tag on it? >.>

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs?! v. Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:21:48 pm »

Played the demo, enjoyed it immensely.  I got a strong vibe that the guy who designed that one was very fond of this one, but there's really no basis for comparison from a gameplay perspective.  Dwarfs!? comes off as a wacky mashup between Dig-Dug and Majesty.  One resource, relatively few gameplay considerations, laid-back atmosphere.  The game could feature chipmunks or spaceships or dinosaurs and nobody would compare it to DF.  The similarity lies in the charming portrayal of the dwarfs themselves as drunken, clumsy, expendable little dopes, wandering around underground and digging, drinking and punching their way through the day.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »

I bet they thought they had a great idea for a game and simply posted it without checking to see if they were treading old ground.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:13 pm »

I bet they thought they had a great idea for a game and simply posted it without checking to see if they were treading old ground.
Except...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/35480/
Dwarfs!? offers an addictive, fast paced arcade-like experience, with plenty of difficulty levels and game modes to play, in the tradition of great games such as "Lemmings" and "Dwarf Fortress."

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:34 pm »

My bad, I'll be sure to take due diligence before posting in the future.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:07:02 am »

Honest question: What is the B12 Forum's obsession with making dozens of threads about Dwarfs?! being a DF ripoff?

Play the demo or do 5 minutes of research before making another Dwarfs?! thread. It is NOTHING like DF. It's a casual (almost to the point of being a Facebook game) arcade game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:41:40 am »

Honest question: What is the B12 Forum's obsession with making dozens of threads about Dwarfs?! being a DF ripoff?

Play the demo or do 5 minutes of research before making another Dwarfs?! thread. It is NOTHING like DF. It's a casual (almost to the point of being a Facebook game) arcade game.

It's because we have such a great community here, better than all the others. People here are mature and polite. We certainly know when the vile fiends over the internet are trying to destroy DF and rise up to defend it.

Sarcasm aside, this is getting really tiresome. People going to other games' forum to flame really isn't helping DF.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:58 am »

http://www.dwarfs-game.com/

Anyone else feeling like someone liked dwarf fortress so much they decided to put a price tag on it? >.>
No.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:05:43 am »

The part that bothers me the post is Dwarfs.

Why would you do that?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:12:38 am »

The part that bothers me is the forum is completely obsessed with rooting out "knockoffs"

The thread Capn pointed out isn't even the first one.  This is probably the fourth Dwarfs?! thread and the 200th "omg omg tis game hav dorfs it copycat" thread.
Shoes...

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:26 am »

I've never played Dwarfs, and since it doesn't seem to be my sort of game I probably never will. But from what people have said, I don't think its a rip-off. Toady didn't create dwarves and he's not the first to make them drunken, crazy sots. He just happens to be the one who's done it best. The more games that feature dwarves the better, I say.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »

The part that bothers me the post is Dwarfs.

Why would you do that?
Because that's how the word is spelt. Tolkein obviously just thought that was far too mainstream.
[Signature]

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »

It's a game inspired partially from Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper and yet some other game. Can't remember which as I talked with the devs last year when they presented their game.