Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone fought a 1000 year old dragon?  (Read 4209 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone fought a 1000 year old dragon?
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:48:12 am »

At 1000 years they can grow to adult size; i hear of people killing them, sometimes not having a tough time.  But how many years was your game going?  And how old was the dragon?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Dragon

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone fought a 1000 year old dragon?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:32 am »

Hmm.

My worldgen rarely makes it past 300-700 years just because I stop it there. For some reason after about 700-800 years I usually notice all the cool megebeasts have been slain by some lame elf peasant or something. I remember Toady talking about that before.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:52 am »

I always stop my world generation at the earliest I can to ensure that these megabeasts are still roaming, usually at year 3 or something. Does that mean that if I encountered a dragon at that time, they would not be fully grown?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:14:13 am by Owlbread »

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:09 pm »

I always stop my world generation at the earliest I can to ensure that these megabeasts are still roaming, usually at year 3 or something. Does that mean that if I encountered a dragon at that time, they would not be fully grown?

Yes. At that time they are about the size of a dwarf.

EDIT: Though on second thought, I'm not certain they have to be born in year 1. It's not the case with dwarves at least.
"It's unpossible!"

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:17:15 pm »

Yes. At that time they are about the size of a dwarf.

EDIT: Though on second thought, I'm not certain they have to be born in year 1. It's not the case with dwarves at least.

That explains why my dwarf adventurers were so successful then. Silly me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »

Megabeasts start worldgen with a ≈250 year head start.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »

I suppose a memory mapper would be useful.  Figure out what is stored in teh size variable and then compare it to what it's size should be at a given age.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »

So you would have to embark at 750? well do an advance world gen and have like 120 mega beast to start at; should be some dragons left :D

well, i'm off to s!cience!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

Yeah, dragons (usually, unless you get unlucky with the breath attacks) usually seem like pushovers because you are beating the shit out of adolescent dragons. You bastards.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »

At 1000 years they can grow to adult size; i hear of people killing them, sometimes not having a tough time.  But how many years was your game going?  And how old was the dragon?

Um, yes? It isn't very hard. Simply gen a world to 1051 and go get some "Kill dragon quests" in adventure mode. Check in legends afterwards, I've killed a thousand year old dragon and her children, who were, oh 930 or so.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:16 pm »

Um, yes? It isn't very hard. Simply gen a world to 1051 and go get some "Kill dragon quests" in adventure mode. Check in legends afterwards, I've killed a thousand year old dragon and her children, who were, oh 930 or so.

They hadn't left the nest yet?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »

Megabeasts reproduce?
Awesome!
Now to gen a world with only dragons as megabeasts...Y'know, this forum needs an "evil grin" smiley.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:17 pm »

Wait, children? Dragons don't breed, they can't, they don't have the [CHILD] tag. They can hypothetically lay eggs, but I've never seen or heard anything either in the forum or the raws that says they do.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »

I've killed a thousand year old dragon and her children, who were, oh 930 or so.

They hadn't left the nest yet?
Well, they went to a local dragon college, and it was easier to stay in the home lair with mum[1] than board out, while supporting themselves (and giving some to the upkeep of the family home) with part time jobs such as fire-lighters, and then when they finally got full-time work they were lucky enough that there were quite a few maidens in the local area, and it didn't seem worth the trouble to move into a cave of their own and have to fully furnish it with treasures, when they were quite comfy in their own alcoves of the family cave.  And, besides, mother's home-roasted knight was to die for.  Not least for the knight.

[1] Mum was fairly happy about that.  But not quite so happy about how they were decorating their sleeping area almost exclusively in jet items, deliberately drooping their wings and just grunting when asked to do any chores.  But given the little girl dragons had previously gone through a big phase of Rose Quartz, Tourmaline and Morganite, surrounding loads of mirrors with all the pink jewellery they could find, and the little boy dragons hanging (mostly unoccupied) suits of armour from the ceiling and leaving their toy wagons all over the place, by now she'd gotten used to such fads.  And at least they weren't freebasing shale-oil like some of the other tearaway adolescent dragons she'd heard about.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:48 am »

lol
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye
Pages: [1] 2