Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Peninsula Embark (Dealing with salt water)  (Read 2749 times)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peninsula Embark (Dealing with salt water)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »

just build a room out of stone, including floors and walls and place a pump in its side to pump it full with water, then place a well on top
A non-salt water cistern can be constructed, but it must be made from constructed materials, walls, floors, everything.  Then pump the water in there.  As long as everything past the pump is made from constructed material, it will remain desalinated.  This means if you open the cistern to flood a farm plot, you've just contaminated the whole cistern (unless the farm room is also made from constructed materials).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »

You may be able to use an airlock system of floor hatches to drop a block of water into a small constructed container (thus preserving freshness) and then open this smaller area into the farmland.  The smaller airlock will become tainted, but quickly drained out leaving the main container fresh and the airlock empty, and therefore fresh.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »

You may be able to use an airlock system of floor hatches to drop a block of water into a small constructed container (thus preserving freshness) and then open this smaller area into the farmland.  The smaller airlock will become tainted, but quickly drained out leaving the main container fresh and the airlock empty, and therefore fresh.

Probably.  I haven't had to deal with this yet, but it's an idea I'll keep handy.  I've just done the old "make everything any water will ever touch out of constructed material".  But I'm sometimes lazy about those sorts of things...

And then I embark on a grand scheme to heat every single pond and the river in my "always frozen Temperate Swamp" fortress with underground magma ducts...  so, yeah.  Some stuff I'm lazy about and then I go nuts for absolutely useless things...
Pages: 1 [2]